NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 06-03-2024, 07:06 PM

Default June 2024 Pickup thread

Got the first HOFer for my 1952 Topps set today, Red Schoendienst.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img830.jpg (192.1 KB, 206 views)
File Type: jpg img831.jpg (177.0 KB, 202 views)

Last edited by Tom S.; 06-03-2024 at 07:11 PM.
Old 06-04-2024, 12:11 PM
Emlily Ell.is

Picked the cards up a few weeks ago, but I just got them back from SGC yesterday. Hence why they're here.

The Mantle is mine, but the Koufax belongs to my coworker. His family moved from Queens to DFW in 1996. When they were moving, they lifted up a dresser, and the Koufax was crinkled up under the dresser. My coworker's dad thought they had gotten rid of all of his cards, so finding Koufax was a nice surprise. Even though in awful condition, he's held on to it all these years since it's the last card he had from his childhood.

He eventually gave it to my coworker, his son, and my coworker learned I was interested in cards. He asked about the Koufax when I told him I was thinking about subbing cards. I told him it would grade authentic, and the coworker said he didn't care. He added he wanted it slabbed to give to his dad, who isn't doing well health wise.

So he decided to have it slabbed SGC since it's a quick turnaround. I gave it to him today, and he's going to give to his dad, who lives with him, when he gets home after work.

To collectors that are about the money and the PSA/SGC 8s-10s, this card and story is worthless. But to my coworker and I, it's a priceless story. BTW, I thought the Mantle would come back a 2 or 2.5. So I was pleasantly surprised it came back a 4.

I have done deals with: snowman, exhibitman, roquan, vintagetoppscards, bobsbbcards, sayitaintso, tsp06, gorditadogg, 4reals, bnorth, clydepepper, jcfowler6, jimmer77, tsp06, Bartholomew_Bump_Bailey, swk473 plus others.
Old 06-06-2024, 07:10 PM

Very pleased with this recent pickup.

Old 06-10-2024, 03:39 PM
Michael

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom S. View Post
Got the first HOFer for my 1952 Topps set today, Red Schoendienst.
That’s a beauty, Tom. Great pickup.
Old 06-10-2024, 03:49 PM
Michael

Good month so far after picking up the mid-grade 1960 Koufax below.

(That gold sticker on the slab is for a Mike Baker “Gold Certification” that had already been done on the card in the past. I don’t know much about what that’s all about. A little googling turned up that apparently Baker was the founding Director of Grading at PSA and started up his Mike Baker Authenticated grading service.)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0106.jpg (187.5 KB, 114 views)
Old Yesterday, 01:04 PM
J0hn Collin$

Default June 2024 Pickup thread

Huge "reacquisition piece" for my PC earlier this week, as back in the day when I was a kid - this was for a brief time one of the cornerstone cards out of anything I owned.

The year was probably 1988, and I was 11 years old. At the now long defunct (both the mall and shop) "Red Lantern" hobby shop at Cotswold Mall in Charlotte, NC - the most expensive thing in the showcase for quite some time was a '54 Bowman Mantle. It was creased, and in worse shape than this one. In one of those old school screw down cases with the kind of plastic thumbnail screws; I actually still have some of these, but they are so beat-up it's not worth putting a card in even for old time's sake...

I digress.

At some point I convinced Mom to let me take that card home. I don't even remember what the sticker price then would have been. $150, maybe 200 bucks? At any rate, it was FAR more expensive than even any reasonably spoiled 11-yo kid should have been expecting his mother to pay for a single baseball card in 1988. But God love her, she did it anyway just because she knew I was fascinated with it - even though I believe that one got her in trouble with my father, LOL.

What's funny about memory, is that even as important as this card was and became to me for the next few years - I have no memory of how I got rid of it. I did perhaps 2 years later acquire a new grail card - the '56 Topps Mantle - at a different shop, and sadly I remember this one becoming less important to me. At some point I traded it, probably to one of my elementary school classmates - though for the life of me I cannot remember for what now.

As the years have gone by, I have gained new appreciation for the subtle beauty in this one. Mantle is only 22 years old here - and though the '54 Bowman set won't take home any first place accolades for the time period in which it was issued - I think that it's an underrated set just the same. I love the soft colors and whatever photochromatic color work they did on this set - despite it being perhaps most notorious for NOT continuing the full color photography that Bowman introduced to such rave reviews the year before.

Welcome home Mick! And thanks again Mom, for the memory. This one I can assure you will not be going anywhere for a very long time. :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by jchcollins; Yesterday at 01:21 PM.
Old Yesterday, 01:29 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

(And the crowd softly dabs the nostalgic tears from their eyes as they think of calling their own moms.)

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old Yesterday, 02:43 PM
J0hn Collin$

Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyElm View Post
(And the crowd softly dabs the nostalgic tears from their eyes as they think of calling their own moms.)
LOL. Mom's been gone for 5 years. No doubt she would be both surprised and pleased to see me giving her credit after all this time for something that gives me so much joy.

Last edited by jchcollins; Yesterday at 02:45 PM.
Old Yesterday, 03:18 PM
Emlily Ell.is

Picked up another Aaron today. Now have the '58T AS and '62T AS. Might just chase all his all star cards.

I have done deals with: snowman, exhibitman, roquan, vintagetoppscards, bobsbbcards, sayitaintso, tsp06, gorditadogg, 4reals, bnorth, clydepepper, jcfowler6, jimmer77, tsp06, Bartholomew_Bump_Bailey, swk473 plus others.
Old Yesterday, 03:51 PM
D@v3 W@u9h

I had my eye on this one for a while and finally pulled the trigger. One of my favorite cards in the set and I think Stan's best.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg musial2.jpg (117.0 KB, 55 views)
1971T NM+ 498/752 (66%)
1954B EXMT+ 83/225 (37%)
1975T NMMT 212/660 (32%)
1968T NM 174/598 (29%)
1969T NM 139/664 (21%)
1971OPC NM 108/752 (14%)
Old Yesterday, 08:06 PM
Is Mudville so bad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by smellthegum View Post
I had my eye on this one for a while and finally pulled the trigger. One of my favorite cards in the set and I think Stan's best.
Hands down one of my favorite baseball cards, agreed it's Stans best.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/183872512@N04/
-
Old Today, 09:29 AM
Emlily Ell.is

Not cards, but I did pick these up yesterday in a collection. The autographs are COAd by Scoreboard. Don't know anything about them, so will have to do some research. Will most likely take to JSA at the show July 4.

Last edited by wdwfan; Today at 09:30 AM.