NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-12-2012, 11:15 PM

Default Need some help on 1950's~60's Tracards

Merry Christmas to all my fellow card collectors! This is my first post and I hope that some of you might be able to lead me in the right direction.

Over the past several years, I have occassionally picked up a few cards produced by the American Tract Society called Tracards. It is my understanding that they were produced in the 1950's~1960's and they are 2 3/4" x 3 1/2". From the few that I have, the fronts have photos of sports figures (baseball, football, track and field, skier), entertainment stars, boat builder and I am assuming other walks of life. The backs have Christian related testimonies and the cards are numbered, the last card I have is #66 Al Worthington. Other baseball players are Bobby Richardson, Felipe Alou, Jerry Kindall

I have #'s 1,2,3,4,5,6,19,21,25,38,39,41,43,49,50,51,52,66. There are also a few variations in the ones I have which include reversed negatives, different colored printing on the back and completely different photos with the same number.

My question is ~ Does anyone know of a checklist for this set and is this set a complete sequential run or is the set skip-numbered?

Any help you could give me would be greatly appreciated. Hope to hear from you soon.

Thanks, Lee
Sorry, I posted this on the wrong Forum, will do better next time. We learn by our mistakes!

Last edited by bowl300; 12-12-2012 at 11:24 PM. Reason: Posted on wrong Forum
Old 12-13-2012, 06:50 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

They are in the Standard Catalog

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 12-13-2012, 06:54 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
They are in the Standard Catalog
Thanks for helping, Adam.

Lee- we can just leave this thread here since you know it was in the wrong forum, it's your first try, and you know where this type question will go next time. Are you aware of what the Standard Catalog is? If not, it's a large book of checklists and prices for baseball cards (they make other guides too). It is put out by Krause. I am sure I can scan that section for you if need be and send it to you? Welcome to our forum too.
Old 12-13-2012, 01:42 PM
Bob Lemke

We only checklisted the baseball Tracards in the SCBC, and I'm not sure it was completely updated as some of the variations were reported after 2006.

Link to my custom cards gallery:
http://tinyurl.com/customcards
Old 12-13-2012, 04:18 PM

Default Thanks for your help!

Adam, Leon and Bob, thanks for the head's up on the Tracards.

The three sources I use are completely outdated, I've had them for years:
#1-Sports Collectors Bible, 3rd edition, 1979
#2-SCD Baseball Card Price Guide, 1st edition, 1987 (Bob, I believe you were instrumental in this production).
#3-Beckett Baseball Card Price Guide #17, 1995.

These three have been great sources for checklists but of course the pricing is now a wish list!

Maybe Santa Claus will bring me a new Standard Catalog for Christmas??

Lee Grimes

Last edited by bowl300; 12-13-2012 at 04:19 PM.
Old 12-15-2012, 06:07 AM

Default Other American Tract Society issues

I for one would love to find out more about their various issues, both card and noncard items that are baseball or sports related. The attached pic is an American tract Society pamphlet from 1982 with Andre Thornton as a Cleveland Indian. About the size of a postcard.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1982 American Tract Society Pamphlet Andre Thornton.jpg (77.7 KB, 81 views)
Old 12-15-2012, 10:46 AM
Rich Klein

Default There are many religious tracts

featuring baseball players. I know that when I was at Beckett we had a decent amount of uncatalogued ones and because it was too difficult to really get a hold of figuringo out what to do we never did catalog the one-shots we had. I know that even Chad Curtis had one during his playing days that we did not have

Rich
Old 12-15-2012, 03:40 PM

Default More on Tracards

Jason and Rich:

Thanks for your responses. I have noticed from time to time the American Tract Society booklets/pamphlets have appreared on eBay. The only ones I have are the "Mickey Mantle, His Final Inning" the 1995 printing with blue background and the 1998 printing with the red background. I tried to contact the American Tract Society via email but did not receive any response. You would think they should have some kind of records showing what they have produced.

If it helps anyone, here are the cards I have:
#1 - Roy Rogers (Hollywood Movies)
#2 - Roy Rogers, Dale Evans & Trigger (Hollywood Movies)
#3 - Roy Rogers, Dale Evans (Hollywood Movies)
#4 - Roy Rogers & Trigger (Hollywood Movies)
#5 - Roy Rogers & Bullet (Hollywood Movies)
#6 - Dale Evans & Bullet (Hollywood Movies)
#19 - Bob Richards (Pole Vault)
#21 - Donn Moomaw (Football)
#25 - Walter Meloon (Boat Builder)
#38 - Rafer Johnson (Track & Field)
#39 - Phil Shafer - Looking Right (Fighter Pilot)
#39 - Phil Shafer - Looking Left (Fighter Pilot)
#41 - Keith Wegeman (Skier)
#43 - Bobby Richardson (Baseball)
#49 - Ty Hardin (Hollywood Movies)
#50 - Joe Romig (Football)
#51 - Jerry Kindall - Portrait (Baseball)
#52 - Jerry Kindall - Kneeling (Baseball)
#52 - Felipe Alou - S.F. Giants (Baseball)
#52 - Felipe ALou - Atlanta Braves (Baseball)
#66 - Al Worthington (Baseball)

Rich, can you remember if the Chad Curtis card was from the American Tract Society or a different publisher and do any others come to mind after seeing this abbreviated checklist?

If anybody else has any other information out there, I would really like to hear from you.

Thanks again for your input,
Lee Grimes
Old 12-15-2012, 04:15 PM
Rich Klein

Default I never saw more than the front of the Curtis card

So have no idea if a tracard or anything else. I know we had Gary Carter items and I think we had the Andre Thornton pamphlet pictured as well.

Rich