NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 01-14-2017, 02:32 PM
Marc

Default 1936 Spalding Football

So, I just picked up something like A Holy Grail item for me. In 1936, Santa Clara University defeated St. Mary's in the annual "Little Big Game." It was the first Santa Clara Victory over St. Mary's since 1923. Santa Clara's star player was Nello Falaschi, who became an All American that year and led the team to a Sugar Bowl victory over LSU (Santa Clara also won the Sugar Bowl in 1938). He later played for the NY Giants.

This Spalding J5-V football is from Falschi's estate. It has the 1936 Little Big Game score on the ball and a drawing of a Bronco. It is hard to tell if these features are stamped into the ball or hand written.

This is my first vintage football. As you can see from the pictures, it is flat. I was hoping to hear from some vintage football collectors for advice about taking care of it. Should I inflate it? Anything special I need to know before trying to inflate it? Can I use a modern needle?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Football front.jpg (75.1 KB, 164 views)
File Type: jpg Spalding.jpg (75.8 KB, 166 views)
File Type: jpg Flat.jpg (72.4 KB, 164 views)
Old 01-14-2017, 03:04 PM
Ja.son Hugh.es

I would do a little more research before attempting. Some balls still have a functional bladder inside, but it's best not to fully inflate them. If the bladder is not functional or has significant issues you may be better off not messing with it. You may be able to partially inflate it to assist it in displaying better. These are really a case by case scenario.
Old 01-14-2017, 04:09 PM
Kevin O'Gara

Lube up a bicycle pin and fill the football slightly
Old 01-14-2017, 05:56 PM
R@nda!! H@hn

I had an old football that was presented to my father in high school as a trophy. It was in our attic for many years. It was also flat. I decided to have it restored as a gift to my brother for Christmas one year after my father passed. Here is what I used...

Wilson offers a football repair service at a cost of $20.00. One of our technicians will replace the bladder and relace the ball for you, and then return it to you at our expense via Fedex. The repair and return process usually takes between two and four weeks. If you wish to do the repair on your own and would only like to purchase a bladder and lace set, the fee would be only $5.00. If you are only ordering the bladder and lace set, please specify what size football the bladder is need for.
To take advantage of either of these options, please send payment in the appropriate amount along with the ball if a repair is being requested to the following address:
Wilson Sporting Goods
Attn: Football Repair
217 N. Liberty Street
Ada, OH 45810

Baseball's hard. You can love it but it doesn't always love you back. It's like dating a German chick...
Billy Bob Thornton-Bad News Bears
Old 01-14-2017, 06:06 PM
Marc

Default Will try tomorrow

Thanks to everyone for the tips. I think I'll start by trying to fill it up just a bit tomorrow.
Old 01-14-2017, 06:09 PM
Rob

Awesome football. Very cool item to add to any football collection. I also have some old flat footballs and thought of using the Wilson service to restore them. My one concern...I don't want shiny new laces in a 50 year old ball.
Old 01-15-2017, 08:48 AM
R@nda!! H@hn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fballguy View Post
Awesome football. Very cool item to add to any football collection. I also have some old flat footballs and thought of using the Wilson service to restore them. My one concern...I don't want shiny new laces in a 50 year old ball.
Yeah thats true, but you may be able to age them yourself. Or maybe even ask them to dirty the lace material before stitching. I did it because I wanted the ball inflated for display. It was always flat when I saw it in the attic. I'll try and get a pic of it today as I am going to my brothers. There is some cracking to it because the whole ball was originally painted.

Baseball's hard. You can love it but it doesn't always love you back. It's like dating a German chick...
Billy Bob Thornton-Bad News Bears
Old 01-15-2017, 12:52 PM
L@nce Fit.tro

I've never attempted such a thing, but couldn't you (or your restorer) replace the internal bladder but keep/re-use the existing laces?

Not sure I would go back to the manufacturer for that work to be done though. For a $20 service charge, I don't think you're going to be getting a "museum quality" restoration. That service seems to be geared more toward those who don't want to shell out $80 for a new ball and just want to make their old one usable again.
Old 01-15-2017, 08:19 PM

Default Football

Great football; congrats on adding it to your collection.
I would be very surprised if inflating it slowly works given the ball and bladders age. It likely won't hold air, or will leak. Can't hurt to try as long as the leather isn't too dry/brittle.
I can recommend a restorer who I have used may times in the past, who will replace the bladder, and re-lace using antique laces (or the original laces when possible) Shoot me an email, and I'll get you his contact info if interested.

Last edited by vintagesportflips; 01-15-2017 at 08:20 PM.
Old 01-16-2017, 01:45 PM
Marc

I ended up filling it up. It looks better now (more of a football shape), but it is still flat. Not sure if it will hold the football shape or shrinl back into a rasin.

I'm torn between keeping it as is (with original laces) and restoring. I'll probably wait for a bit to decide. If I can't keep it out of rasin form, I'll probably restore.

Right now, I just enjoy having it.