NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 08-25-2011, 06:22 PM

Default Crosley Field Seats

Hello everyone,

I just purchased a set of 5 stadium seats from Crosley Field in Cincinnati. They are in pretty good shape, but someone has painted over the original green color. The numbers are still visible through the paint, so I'm guessing the original paint is under the new paint still.

I could use some advice, as I'm very new to baseball memorabilia (and the forum!) and don't want to destroy their value. Should I:
A) Leave them the way they are.
B) Try to strip the new paint off, leaving only the original paint (if it's still there).
C) Strip all of the paint and repaint in original colors.

If I do decide to repaint them, does anyone know what the original shade of green is called? Also, what color was used to paint the numbers?

I have attached some pictures.

Thanks for your help,
RedsFan09
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2140.jpg (73.4 KB, 342 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2141.jpg (75.9 KB, 342 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2142.jpg (71.4 KB, 341 views)

Last edited by RedsFan09; 04-21-2012 at 01:02 AM.
Old 08-25-2011, 07:24 PM
John

First of all, I have no experience with stadium seats, but my first impression is that prior to this latest paint job, they were a messy 50/50 green and bare weathered wood. Not a pretty sight. Are you sure the gray/beige wasn't a paint job done in Crosley's final years?

I would consider working to liberate just the number area and numbers, then repaint the rest in Crosley green.
Old 08-25-2011, 08:48 PM

Thanks for the suggestion. I am not sure about the paint job being done at Crosley or not. How would I find that out?

I will have to look at that when I pick the seats up tomorrow. Sounds like a good plan though.

Thanks again
Old 08-25-2011, 09:09 PM
L@nce Fit.tro

I may be showing my ignorance here, but isn't option B pretty much impossible? Seems like overall paint removal would be an all-or-nothing proposition.
Old 08-26-2011, 06:30 AM
Steve Birmingham

Option B is possible, but it's slow tedious work even on a good surface. I'm not sure I'd attempt it on a bit of wood that has a surface as cracked as the one shown in the closeup.

I think a bit of research is in order, if the gray was done at Crosley I'd be inclined to leave it as-is. Except that the metal bits look like some rust is starting. That can be dealt with without wrecking the paint, but the seats won't be pretty.

If it wasn't done at Crosley, where was it done? Lots of seats got sold to towns or minor league teams. Probably not much monetary value in keeping the gray, but a bit of history/provenance. If the guy did it himself it's no big deal.

I have 3 seats, Fenway unrestored, Arlington stadium - Plastic, And Atlanta Fulton county - Sold to a minor league team rescued and restored. That one came with a packet of documentation including the color matching info.

Steve B
Old 08-26-2011, 02:07 PM

Ok, I got the seats today. The wood actually seems very solid and in pretty good shape. There is some minor rusting, but I don't think that will be too difficult to take care of. At first glace, it doesn't look like there is the original green paint on the actual seats. I am not sure about the backs, but the original numbers are clearly visible through the gray paint.

How would I go about researching this particular set of seats? I would like to make them as original as possible, but I have no idea how to find out where they have been/what color they were.

Any tips?

Thanks again for all the advice, I really appreciate it.
Old 08-26-2011, 08:10 PM

Ok, after looking at them a little further, I have decided to refinish them. The original paint is under the gray on the seat backs, but not on the seats. Also, I don't really ever plan on reselling them.

So is "Crosley Green" the name of the original shade of green? Where can I purchase this paint (or the closest shade)?
Old 08-26-2011, 09:04 PM
John

I made up the name "Crosley Green". I don't know the real color. With some research, you may be able to find the real color.
Old 09-14-2011, 06:25 PM
Anthony

I'd contact the Cincinnati Reds museum located at the Great American Ballpark. I'm sure a historian there can point you in the right direction. Good Luck and nice seats!
Old 09-20-2011, 11:39 AM

I have the exact same set of seats, the same color with the same wood slats under the legs. An auction house located in Ohio had hundreds of these sets in both 4 and 5 seat configurations. No doubt this is where your set came from. I just called them and they said they came from a fairground and he is guessing they had painted them at some point.

If you don't mind me asking, what did you pay for your set?
Old 09-20-2011, 01:34 PM
Tom Boblitt

There was a guy in Cinci named Bobby Dotson (I think) who sold MANY, MANY Crosley field seats over the years.......he consigned most, if not all, the figural Crosley seats to the Lelands and other auctions. He used to be a figure at the Moeller shows but not sure anything about him now. Might be a good name to look up in the phone book........
Old 09-20-2011, 03:39 PM

Default Crosley Seat

I owned one of these seats years ago and refinished it because the seat looked horrible as far as displaying it. The color you are looking for is called Hunter Green. Most paint stores will have this color. I threw away my paint can and dont remember the manufacturer of the paint I used, but if you tell them Hunter Green, they will give you the manufacturer from the color strip. I believe I bought it from Sherwin Williams. You can also take a paint chip in with you if you can scrap a small sample off the seat and they can match it that way too. Hopes this helps. I had a great time refinishing mine and it came out great. I took pictures of it along the way, but gave them to the guy that I sold the seat to.