NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old Today, 11:47 AM
W@de

Default 1950 Carribean Series Official Scoresheets

Hey all, I recently acquired some official scoresheets from the 1950 Carribean Series in Puerto Rico.

They are all from the Puerto Rican team's games, the Criollos de Caguas. This team was stacked with players like Wilmer Fields, Dan Bankhead, Vic Power, Rubén Gómez and a man nicknamed "Ese Hombre" or "That Man". Hall of Famer Willard Brown.

There are many other Negro League greats and Latin stars also present on the scoresheets.

Luis Olmo managed and played for Puerto Rico. Chet Brewer led the Panamanian pitching staff. Al Gionfriddo returned to the series with the Almendares team of Cuba. Venezuela had names such as Howard Easterling, Jim Pendleton and both Alex and Chico Carrasquel (uncle and nephew).

There are 7 scorecards from Puerto Rico's games. Usually there would be only 6 but Panama and Puerto Rico ended up with the same 4-2 record and a single tie breaker game decided it all. Chet Brewer ended up winning the final with Dan Bankhead taking the loss.

What I didn't realize at the time of purchase was there are 9 autographs on the first scoresheet of the series. They are the 9 starting players for the Puerto Rican team!

In batting order they are

1. Gene Markland 2B
2. Roy Hughes 3B
3. Juan E. "Tetelo" Vargas CF
4. Willard Brown RF
5. Luis Olmo LF
6. Luis Saint Clair C
7. Victor Pellot "Power" 1B
8. Stan Breard SS
9. Dan Bankhead SP

I was thrilled to get this collective piece for all the important Negro League, integration, and Latin star players present. Finding out some of their autos are also present takes these to another level. I originally thought some of the signatures were in the hand of the official scorer. Big thanks to Jeff Lazarus (Topnotchsy here) for first IDing the Dan Bankhead thus leading to me seeing the rest!

I'm working on scanning them and will upload them but If you'd like to see more of them I recorded a video here:
https://youtu.be/4I0CglEo6Jo?si=0pjSCm5gpNpJg0Xn

Thanks for reading and taking a look!1950_CS_Game1_Front.jpg

Adobe_Express_20240910_0055240_1.jpg

Last edited by Swadewade51; Today at 11:53 AM.
Old Today, 08:01 PM
Chris Counts

That's an awesome piece Wade. I like how Vic Power spelled out his full name — that probably got old real fast. The Willard Brown signature is a real beauty. I wonder if the Rodriquez playing third base for the Arbitros is Hector, who had an impressive career. The starting pitcher for Arbitros is Connie Marrero, who was an all-star for the Senators in 1951 when he was 40 years old.
Old Today, 08:28 PM
Doug Goodman

Wow, those are great. Congrats.
Old Today, 08:44 PM
Lüc@s Dëwėãšę

Super piece Wade, just wow.

My Baseball Snapshot Photo collection- https://imageevent.com/lucas00/snapshotcollection