NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-08-2012, 11:06 PM

Default Who was Irving Lewis?

The current thread about the T207 set is interesting, especially the discussion of the two Irving Lewis cards.

Has anyone yet discovered the birth/death dates and places for the mysterious Mr. Lewis? About 20-25 years ago (+/-?), his Boston Braves contract was sold in an auction carried in Sports Collectors Digest. (I was not the high bidder, and don't know who was). The contract stated that Lewis was living in Hempstead, NY.

A number of years ago, Keith Olbermann penned an interesting article on Mr. Lewis, in SABR's Baseball Research Journal, highlighting the numerous errors given in the cards' biographical/playing info. That article can be found here:

http://research.sabr.org/journals/irving-lewis-the-boston-brave-who-never-was

If I remember correctly, the Lewis contract was also signed by Braves president John Montgomery Ward - a very rare autograph. Its possible that the buyer may have gone after the contract for the Ward autograph, and if he/she weren't interested in cards, in addition to autographs, may not recognize the significance of the document.

Does anyone know where that Irving Lewis contract might be today? Or, does anyone perhaps have a xerox copy of it? I'm especially interesting in seeing a copy of Lewis' signature. With that, perhaps I could match it with one of the many Irving Lewises who have World War I draft registration cards on file. (WW I cards were signed in 1917-18, the signature probably wouldn't have changed much from 1911-12). Finding a match would give us his birth date, and might lead to info in the WW II draft cards (1942), and if he lived long enough, his death info in the Social Security Death Index.

Thanks for any help that anyone might be able to give!
Old 12-09-2012, 07:03 AM

Default Now this is a game I can play

Our Irving Lewis was born Irving Rhodes Lewis June 20, 1888 the son of Epenetus Lewis and lived in Hempstead, New York from birth thru at least 1940. The proof positive is the 1915 New York state census in which he lists his occupation as Ball Player. Out of Baseball by 1917, married shortly thereafter and by 1930 was a widowed single dad with a daughter, living with his also widowed mother, presumably in the boyhood home he grew up in. By 1940 he is remarried with two younger children. By this time he is going by Irvin. He died in 1954 and is buried in Greenfield cemetery, Uniondale, Nassau county, New York.

Possibly any or all of this three children could be living today and provide even more information.

Last edited by sb1; 12-09-2012 at 07:26 AM.
Old 12-09-2012, 10:38 PM

Many, many thanks! I had tracked this Irving Rhodes Lewis in the 1910-20-30 US census records - but not the missing link that you had - the 1915 NY State census, which shows him as a ballplayer. I'll have to pay more attention to the "off-year" state censuses, particularly 1915, for some of the T209-T210 players.

Thanks again,
Tom
Old 12-10-2012, 05:22 AM

Tom.

Pehaps Keith can do a follow up now and track down the family in the area. That would make for a nice finish to his trailing the career of the Irving Lewis career.
Old 12-10-2012, 10:13 PM

Thanks for everyone's interest and help on this one. And special thanks to the Net54 member who sent me a copy of the Irving Lewis 1912 Boston contract. The signature on the contract matches the one on Irving Rhodes Lewis' WWI draft registration card, so that seals it!