NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-21-2024, 06:04 PM

Default OT: Not baseball related, but need ID help.

If anyone knows of a good group for identifying a black football player from the 1920's, please let me know. Heritage Auctions eliminated itself by the behavior of one of its agents today.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Pre 1926 football teams photo (zoom).jpg (112.9 KB, 341 views)

Last edited by Brian Van Horn; 05-21-2024 at 06:11 PM.
Old 05-21-2024, 07:03 PM
Doug Goodman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Van Horn View Post
Heritage Auctions eliminated itself by the behavior of one of its agents today.
Do tell...
Old 05-21-2024, 07:15 PM

Five items, including one just in humor, run by an agent in e-mail and here was his last response:

"Thank you for all your messages but I’m afraid we wouldn’t be the right fit. We wish you luck should you decide to sell elsewhere."

At no point during the exchange of e-mails did he ever give a first name.

I called Heritage about an hour later and spoke with the woman I spoke to yesterday. She was helpful yesterday and today and asked for the e-mail address from which I received the correspondence which struck her as being a general e-mail address for Heritage.

Nothing like anonymity and no estimate on worth. Of course, that last correspondence was a hint.
Old 05-21-2024, 09:52 PM
Mîçhæ£ ßöw£ß¥

It does look a bit like Fritz Pollard.

"The man who can keep a secret may be wise, but he is not half as wise as the man with no secrets to keep”
Old 05-21-2024, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael B View Post
It does look a bit like Fritz Pollard.
Thank you, Michael.

Further comments are welcome.
Old 05-21-2024, 10:44 PM

A photo of Fritz Pollard, along with a close-up of the same photo for comparison.

Brian
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Pre 1926 football teams photo.jpg (89.2 KB, 261 views)
File Type: jpg FritzPollard.jpg (12.2 KB, 251 views)
File Type: jpg fritzpollard2.jpg (41.9 KB, 260 views)
Old 05-22-2024, 12:17 AM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

Maybe this will help a little...

1928footballplayer.jpg

The elongated face and a distinctly different nose shape point to it being a 'most likely not,' but it's tough with the distortion of that grainy photo to know what reality is.

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 05-22-2024, 04:58 AM

Gentlemen,

Thank you. Looks like I have a 37 inch long original photo of Fritz Pollard with his and another team posing together. Here are poor examples as a result of my phone of parts of the photo.

I am not bragging, but I am kind of happy now that a rep from Heritage Auctions who didn't ID himself with a first name stated he was "afraid we wouldn’t be the right fit." Picture is not hot and was purchased legally.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Pre 1926 football teams photo (left).jpg (88.4 KB, 235 views)
File Type: jpg Pre 1926 football teams photo (center).jpg (91.0 KB, 236 views)
File Type: jpg Pre 1926 football teams photo (right).jpg (86.9 KB, 234 views)

Last edited by Brian Van Horn; 05-22-2024 at 05:08 AM.
Old 05-22-2024, 05:16 AM

One other note. I also sent the guy in the same e-mail a photo of the 1924 (marked 1924) in the bottom right side of the photo of the Falls Lumber Co professional football team. Feel free to do the research.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Falls Lumber team.jpg (147.4 KB, 234 views)
Old 05-22-2024, 05:46 AM
Brian R

Default Pre-war football is tough

Those are some sweet photos

Last edited by Musashi; 05-22-2024 at 05:46 AM.
Old 05-22-2024, 08:39 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Had a similar mystifying exchange with Heritage in 2023. Just for fun sent them a cool Type 1 photo I have. Sent to link on website and attached a photo. Asked for some kind of estimate. Crickets. Zero. No response. Waited like a month and sent it to one of the named sports experts. I waited. Told him I was pretty surprised no one responded in any way. He apologized and asked me to send it. Got a response that basically said limited value …. If it was a photo used in a card would be worth something.” Good luck with the sale.

It’s the original Type 1 photo from Gehrigs W590 card. Marked with editorial markings. I believe the actual photo used to make the strip card. Measurement and notes on back. One of Lou’s earliest cards.

Realize “Lou Gehrig”’is a name that might not set off many alarm bells at the world’s leading auction house.

Probably would have been better if I left it at no response.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2091.jpg (156.3 KB, 179 views)

Last edited by Snapolit1; 05-22-2024 at 09:01 AM.
Old 05-22-2024, 12:25 PM

Steve,

Same issue here when I first submitted over a month ago. No evaluations on the five items in the current matter and I only submitted with this item with humor including a "LOL".

I knew it wasn't King Kelly. Still, that may have started things, but it doesn't justify the agent remaining anonymous and not giving an evaluation of the other items.

Now, to counterbalance him, on Monday and yesterday I spoke over the phone with a Catela Ware who was fantastic at her job and e-mailed the department both days on my behalf.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1880s cabinet [Front].jpg (67.3 KB, 157 views)

Last edited by Brian Van Horn; 05-22-2024 at 12:28 PM.
Old 05-22-2024, 12:35 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Maybe they have so much amazing stuff pouring in to auction that they just don’t give enough of a crap to respond to one off inquiries. Then don’t have a link saying submit your stuff here if you want an estimate. Problem solved.

Last edited by Snapolit1; 05-22-2024 at 12:36 PM.
Old 05-22-2024, 02:08 PM
Rhett Yeakley

I like you Brian…but you have a bit of a checkered past when it comes to photo identification.

I imagine the rep from Heritage was not comfortable with your assertions as to who is in the photos.

Again, not trying to start something with you again (no Herpolsheimer nonsense ) but there are collectors that are good at photo ID’s and others aren’t.

ebay store: kryvintage-->https://www.ebay.com/sch/kryvintage/...p2047675.l2562

Last edited by rhettyeakley; 05-22-2024 at 02:13 PM.
Old 05-22-2024, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhettyeakley View Post
I like you Brian…but you have a bit of a checkered past when it comes to photo identification.

I imagine the rep from Heritage was not comfortable with your assertions as to who is in the photos.

Again, not trying to start something with you again (no Herpolsheimer nonsense ) but there are collectors that are good at photo ID’s and others aren’t.
Brett,

THANK YOU for the set up. Who do you think may be on the following postcard? Tongue-in-cheek.

Thank you again,

Brian
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Walton AC postcard [Front].jpg (85.7 KB, 127 views)
Old 05-22-2024, 03:31 PM
Rhett Yeakley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Van Horn View Post
Brett,

THANK YOU for the set up. Who do you think may be on the following postcard? Tongue-in-cheek.

Thank you again,

Brian
Feel free to let us know who it is and the supporting evidence that it is that person, beyond the “it kinda looks like him” rationale. Provenance and context is VERY important.

Otherwise, it is a seemingly nice RPPC of the “Walton Athletic Club” featuring a group of teenage boys with their “Manager”

Most major auction houses are not going to spend hours researching these types of pieces unless there is a preponderance of evidence that it is what is purported.

From the auction houses perspective… if the item is ever discovered to NOT be what is being reported it gives the Auction a black eye and most are just not interested in taking that chance.

ebay store: kryvintage-->https://www.ebay.com/sch/kryvintage/...p2047675.l2562
Old 05-22-2024, 03:33 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

Do not take this as argumentative, but I'm confused, are people actually now concluding that the player in the photo is Fritz Pollard??

Facial features aside, just a check on Wikipedia says he was only 5'9" (probably a heightened - get it? - exaggeration), and the page includes a pic of him looking pretty miniature next to 6'3" Paul Robeson, yet the player in question is pretty darned big, tall and lanky (and not squat at all) compared to all of the others pictured, no??

I encourage interested parties to go further with the research before concluding anything. (And don't shoot the messenger, I have enough problems to deal with.)

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Old 05-22-2024, 09:30 PM
Mîçhæ£ ßöw£ß¥

Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyElm View Post
Do not take this as argumentative, but I'm confused, are people actually now concluding that the player in the photo is Fritz Pollard??

Facial features aside, just a check on Wikipedia says he was only 5'9" (probably a heightened - get it? - exaggeration), and the page includes a pic of him looking pretty miniature next to 6'3" Paul Robeson, yet the player in question is pretty darned big, tall and lanky (and not squat at all) compared to all of the others pictured, no??

I encourage interested parties to go further with the research before concluding anything. (And don't shoot the messenger, I have enough problems to deal with.)

My first impression was Wesley Snipes. I looked at the face and nothing else to come up with Pollard. I would prefer to look at the photo in person to see the front and back, but that was not the option.

"The man who can keep a secret may be wise, but he is not half as wise as the man with no secrets to keep”
Old 05-22-2024, 09:47 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

The bookends are known Pollard pics, pug nose and all. He has a very distinct face. 'They' cannot be the same fellah as the one in the middle...

Pre-1926-football-teams-photo-(zoom).jpg

Casey Stengel

Old 05-22-2024, 10:29 PM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

It's not Babe Ruth, if that helps.
Old 05-22-2024, 11:53 PM
+0m J()rd@N

Looks like Scottie Pippen's father.
1952 Topps - low numbers (-1)
1954 Bowman (-5)
1964 Topps Giants auto'd (-2)
Old Yesterday, 04:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianp-beme View Post
A photo of Fritz Pollard, along with a close-up of the same photo for comparison.

Brian
Deleted because Jolly Elm already made the same point

Last edited by howard38; Yesterday at 04:13 AM.