NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-30-2012, 11:20 PM
Jerry.Gal.le.ano

Default Pic of "deranged girl" that shot "The Natural"

Most Net54 folks know that the book and movie The Natural was inspired by the real life tragedy of Phillies first baseman Eddie Waitkus. Waitkus' 1955 Bowman briefly tells the story in the first person. Perhaps the Bowman writers could have come up with a more approproate title for the bio than, My Biggest Thrill in Baseball. The "deranged girl" that he speaks of is Ruth Steinhagen. I had never seen a picture of Miss Steinhagen until I recently ran across the photo below in the October 1957 Police Gazette.

The picture shows a court room setting with standing room only. SRO! Look at all those dang people! Waitkus is seated, apparently still recovering. Miss Steinhagen, later to be played in the movie by Barbara Hersey, stands by demurely as the prosecutor(?) fires a finger gun at her.

Now that we have her picture wouldn't she be a great fantasy card project for one of our creative members?

Tim Pulcifer has an interesting group of web pages that include a very cool tribute to Eddie Waitkus. http://nowbatting19.com/WAITKUSpage.html
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Waitkis.jpg (77.6 KB, 1286 views)
File Type: jpg 55 Waitkus.jpg (77.2 KB, 1275 views)
File Type: jpg 55 Waitkus bk.jpg (78.6 KB, 1275 views)

Last edited by Jerry G; 05-31-2012 at 12:53 AM.
Old 05-30-2012, 11:46 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default moved

I moved this thread to the front page even though it's a '50s card as I thought it was interesting and made a managerial decision. Great story, neat card and thanks for sharing.

Last edited by Leon; 05-30-2012 at 11:50 PM.
Old 05-31-2012, 06:40 AM

I never knew that! Interesting and thanks for posting that.
Old 05-31-2012, 06:42 AM
Jeff 'Prize-ner'

very cool.
Old 05-31-2012, 08:30 AM
Fr@nk Burke++

Default Amphibious Engineer Sargeant with 4 Battle Stars vs

.........a crazed girl. Place your bets.

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.

Last edited by frankbmd; 05-05-2016 at 08:58 AM.
Old 05-31-2012, 08:49 AM
Barry Sloate

There's something very disturbing about that photo. Considering Steinhagen shot Waitkus, why is she standing so close to him in the courthouse? Shouldn't there be a little more of a buffer zone between them?
Old 05-31-2012, 10:16 AM
₳₦ĐɎ ₦ɆɄ฿ɆⱤ₮

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry G View Post
Now that we have her picture wouldn't she be a great fantasy card project for one of our creative members?
I took up the challenge, but used a different photo.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SteinhagenFront55Bowman.jpg (53.8 KB, 722 views)
Old 05-31-2012, 11:46 AM

I think it scared more than players, much like the recent movie "Fatal Attraction" scared the bejeezus out of a lot of men who watched it.
Old 05-31-2012, 12:08 PM
T0dd M@rcum

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbob View Post
I think it scared more than players, much like the recent movie "Fatal Attraction" scared the bejeezus out of a lot of men who watched it.
My wife used to sit down with me and watch it everytime before I left on a business trip. Then one day she realized I'm really not very attractive or interesting.

That was an interesting piece. Good call Leon. I would not have seen it on the other forum and enjoyed it immensely.
Old 05-31-2012, 12:32 PM
S Gross

The note she left for Waitkus, just shows how seemingly sane an insane person can be:

"It is extremely important that I see you as soon as possible. We are not acquainted, but I have something of importance to speak to you about. I think it would be to your advantage to let me explain this to you as I am leaving the hotel the day after tomorrow. I realize this is out of the ordinary, but as I say, it is extremely important.”

Interesting, but mainly forgotten part of baseball history.
Old 05-31-2012, 12:35 PM
Jerry.Gal.le.ano

Quote:
Originally Posted by bn2cardz View Post
I took up the challenge, but used a different photo.

Very cool card, Andy! Thanks.

This link gives a very good overview of the story as well as othe pictures.
http://darkdeeds.susanfleet.com/blog...ann+steinhagen
Old 05-31-2012, 02:27 PM
Ed McCollum

Default Is she still living?

In an attempt to avoid work this afternoon, I've spent a little time online trying to find out more. His life ended at a young age, what happened to her? I can't seem to find anything out after her release three years later, apparently being declared sane.
Old 06-01-2012, 09:40 AM
pariah1107

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuckInOmaha View Post
In an attempt to avoid work this afternoon, I've spent a little time online trying to find out more. His life ended at a young age, what happened to her? I can't seem to find anything out after her release three years later, apparently being declared sane.
According to Jean Hastings Ardells' book "Breaking into Baseball: Women and the National Pastime" she spent thirty three months in a psych ward before her release. She moved to a home on the Northwest Side of Chicago with her sister, Rita. She avoids reporters and refuses to speak publicly about the incident. She has never married. This book was published in 2005

I can not find an obituary for Ruth Ann Steinhagen the past eight years which makes me believe she is still alive.
Old 06-01-2012, 03:21 PM

Would be a pretty interesting ball if you had both on it.