View Single Post
Old 03-16-2007, 12:31 PM
Administrator

Default If you were collecting low grade T206's...

Posted By: Jason L

what if the T206 commons are actually the rarities?-(relative scarcity is higher than that of the HOFer card population)

True, HOFers should be more valuable/desirable, but if the supply is greater and better able to satisfy demand than is the supply of the common cards, then that group would be hard-pressed to keep pace with appreciation of the "commons"...

...I had to leave this post to do some work, and now as I come back, I have no idea what amazingly prescient point I was about to make!

but yes, the commons will remain disproportionately expensive in relation to the HOFers in the same grade, as long as the registry sets remain a popular method of collecting, I think...

And Darren makes a very interesting point as well, regarding perhaps, the demographics of the collecting base...if we are seeing a collector base that is in the "buy" phase of a long-term buy-and-hold cycle, it may be awhile before we see some of these rarer cards return to circulation...or that we see this kind of turnover again....VERY hard to say. I would postulate that EBAY has permanently raised the hobby's turnover, to some extent..,..but I think we have the perfect storm right now...lots of baby boomers with lots of home equity withdrawn, buying up their childhoods...and they may very well hold on until they pass on 20-30 years from now.