View Single Post
Old 08-04-2019, 02:27 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by samosa4u View Post
Yep.

I feel more confident purchasing PSA graded cards in older holders.

Now some guys have been doctoring cards for a long time and just because you buy an old slab doesn't mean the card hasn't been doctored, however, I just feel there are more card doctors now compared to back then. So recently graded waterfront cards have a higher chance of being doctored compared to the ones that were graded in the past.

Another reason why a card today has a higher chance of being doctored is value. Remember, 10 - 15 years ago many of these cards were worth a lot less. Back then, you could buy a beautiful well-centered PSA 6 Hank Aaron rookie for around $600 USD. I just recently paid $4,000 USD for mine.

And finally, a card today has a higher chance of being trimmed because of the centering craze (that only seems to be getting worse every year). Because collectors today pay large sums of money for well-centered cards, card trimmers are, well, giving them just that.
I think in recent years PSA has been in more of a hurry too. I have a feeling, hope I'm wrong, that large modern subs just move through at the speed of an express train and nobody is even checking for trimming. Some of the modern stuff outed on BO is incredible.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 08-04-2019 at 02:28 PM.