View Single Post
Old 07-10-2006, 10:10 AM
Administrator

Default 1938 GOUDEY #4C part 1 JOE DIMAGGIO ROOKIE Card PRO 4.5

Posted By: Al C.risafulli

I'm just reading this thread for the first time today; I hope you check back before deciding to bid.

This "card" is actually the front cover of a 1938 Goudey Movie "flip" book. The real item is a small book of still pictures of DiMaggio - you're supposed to flip through the pages, which gives the illusion of watching a movie of DiMaggio hitting a ball. They released these type of books in 1937 and 38; they're actually pretty cool.

The seller of this item (in fairness I can't know if they're cutting the books up or obtaining the cut-up pictures) sells the individual pictures from inside the book, which are black and white photos of various stages of Joe D's swing. The "card" in this listing is the cover of the book. The giveaway is the blank back - the back of the flip book has printing on it, and there are pages in the middle.

The original item is a very cool piece of memorabilia. Unfortunately some people buy them (you can get them for $100-150 or so) and rip all the pictures out and sell them as "cards" to unsuspecting buyers.

-Al