View Single Post
Old 03-22-2019, 03:27 PM

Default I have divided loyalties

Born and raised in Maine, I followed the Red Sox, Celtics, Patriots and (a little) the Bruins. The BoSox finally won the pennant my senior year in high school (1967) - rebounding from a 9th place finish in '66.

Fast forward a couple of years and I'm stationed on the west coast and eventually ended up in Seattle. No team. Eventually the M's arrived and I adopted them although always keeping an eye on the Red Sox. In 1978 the Red Sox came to town for 2 games in August (the 22nd and 23rd) possessing a 78-45 record and considerable lead in the American League East. What to do? Well, I compromised: cheer for both teams, hoping for a spit. But what happened? The Sox dropped both of them, limped home 21-18 the final 39 games to end in a tie with the much-hated Yankees - only to lose the tie-breaker by a single run!

So, now I technically cheer for the home team but I'm realistic: If the M's are "out of it" (usual scenario), then it's The Sox when the M's-Sox play. Otherwise it's the M's AND the Sox.