View Single Post
Old 02-01-2018, 03:16 PM
Ted Zanidakis

Default T206 150-only subjects......Eddie Plank

* * * * * * * * * * * * T206 REFERENCE......Reflections, Theory's, Surveys, etc. * * * * * * * * * * * *

Only these five T-brands were printed on the backs of the 150-only T206's

Contrary to the conventional thinking, it's my opinion that Mike Powers should not be considered a 150-only T206 subject. American Lithographic actually
printed Powers battery mate, Eddie Plank, with this 1st series of 12 cards. This we know for certain, since a partial sheet of Piedmont 150 cards were dis-
covered in Eastern Long Island (NY) in the mid 1980's.
Included on this sheet were Eddie Plank and Honus Wagner (subsequently referred to as the Gretzky Wagner). For more info on this, check-out this 2009 thread....http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=111871

Since the 1970's, several theory's (such as the "broken printing plates" myth, etc.) have been proposed to explain the "short-printing" of the Plank card.
Well, my take on this mystery is very simple....having read Connie Mack's ** response to a Philadelphia sports writer (circa 1910) regarding Plank........

"The secret of Plank's pitching is no secret at all. It is a good strong arm, a powerful constitution to back it, and neither drinks, smokes,
chews tobacco, nor swears...."

My guess is Eddie Plank informed the American Tobacco Co. (ATC) that he did not want his image portrayed on Tobacco cards. And, being the low-keyed
guy that he was, Plank did not "hype-up" his anti-tobacco stance (as Wagner did). Most likely, a brief "cease and desist" order was issued to ATC.

Furthermore, why ATC continued issuing the Plank card with a SWEET CAPORAL 350, Factory #30 back for a short period of time is anyone's guess. ?
I have some thoughts regarding this; however, I'm curious what your's may be ? ?

The majority of T206 Plank cards in circulation are the SWEET CAPORAL 350, Factory #30 versions. And, it is interesting to note that the colors of the
majority of these particular Plank cards are quite pale in comparison with the rich-looking colors of the PIEDMONT 150 or SWEET CAPORAL 150 cards.

Footnote **
"Connie Mack" (Biography), by Norman Macht

TED Z