View Single Post
Old 03-01-2018, 12:34 AM
Fredy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Counts View Post
Here's a cap I'm curious about. It's a Brooklyn Dodgers cap that's made by Wilson. I've been told this cap comes from 1947, but it looks to me like it was made a few years later. I've also been told the Brooklyn Dodgers didn't use Wilson caps, so unless I see evidence otherwise, I'm going to assume it's some kind of salesman's sample. They seem to be fairly common among vintage pro caps. I'm seeking opinions on this one, in case anybody has anything to offer.
Chris, this is an interesting hat indeed! While the logo is an earlier style Brooklyn Dodgers logo (pre 1948), I have not seen this particular Wilson style yet. Of note is the tag too, Wilson predominately used the "Wilson Professional Cap" tag on their on field caps starting in the later half of the 40s. In the early 40s Wilson did not use tags but printed their logo straight on to the sweatband (very rare).

There are two other known Brooklyn Dodgers hats by Wilson both featuring different style logos from yours. At least one of those was a style worn briefly by some Dodger players in 1951 but very infrequently and certainly not consistently.

My best guess is that it indeed could be a salesman sample from the 50s, or something made for an old timers game later on, or that it's actually an older cap that was refurbished (unlikely).

Two questions that could provide some more clarity:

- Does the cap feature the 3 letter Wilson code on the in- or outside of the sweatband?

- Can you provide an image of the complete inside of the hat?