View Single Post
Old 11-21-2014, 07:50 PM
Bill Boyd

eric,
Here is my last posting. Good choice. Babe Ruth.
I have a story about Babe, told to me by a good friend named Mike. The story is about Mike's father.
His father grew up in Detroit close to then, Bennett field. He used to go down to the games and stand outside the fence that surrounded the parking lot that the players would keep their cars. There, they could catch a glimpse of the players on their way out.
On this day, the Yankees were in town, and they (Mike,s father and a friend) wanted to get a look at the Babe. Sure enough the game ended, and their wait was rewarded. Out came the Babe. The Babe noticed the two boys and walked up to the fence, asking the boys, "did you see the game"? They shook their heads no, the Babe then bellowed, "Come on with me". He walked the 2 youths around the fence, and into the stadium, and soon found themselves on the outfield grass by the warning track. The Babe walked and talked with them from foul pole to foul pole. Mike's father always said that it was one of the most memorable moments in his youth. I was fortunate to know Mike's father, one of the most respected Commanding police Officers on the Department.
In my eyes, there can't be enough paintings to pay respect to Babe Ruth.

Bill