View Single Post
Old 08-09-2006, 03:47 PM
Administrator

Default Troubling Auction Purchase

Posted By: Brian Goldner

Recently, i was the high bidder on a couple of pre-war graded lots, from a relatively well known auction house.

At the end of last week, i received the cards, and upon inspection, i am of the opinion that both items have been tampered with.

What i am suspicious of, is holders being broken open, and cards being switched.

Though these weren't high profile items, and not a large amount of money (~$450) changed hands, it is still a troubling thing to possibly see happening, in the hobby.

I spoke with the auction house today, and they didn't seem terribly interested in fixing things.
They stated that there was no refund on graded cards, and if the cards were tampered with, they didn't know who did the tampering.

Well, i can't say that their answer was entirely unexpected, as i've been around the hobby long enough to see that train coming down the tracks.

All i can say is that i know in my heart, that if indeed these items were tampered with (and i believe that they were), i know it wasn't me, who did the dirty deed.

Gentlemen, if there is anything that can undermine the confidence of buyers in the hobby, it is the potential for corruption, via this possibility, or a variety of others.

In any event, i hope that my current dilemma, is extremely isolated.

Best Regards, Brian