View Single Post
Old 04-08-2002, 07:11 PM
Administrator

Default Interesting Story Concerning Card Trimming and Grading

Posted By: Eric 

Thought that i'd pass along this story to members of the forum. I spoke with an old time collector this weekend. And when I say old time, I mean....old time (he's in his early 80's)!! He's been collecting baseball cards since the mid 1930's and has a lot of stuff. Stuff you rarely see. He showed me a complete set of T208 Cullivan Fireside cards. When is the last time you've seen this set?
Anyways, he told me that he had purchased packs of 1939 Playball cards back in 1939 when they were originally issued. The cards were put away and, of course, he had duplicates. A couple of years ago, he took one these cards (a duplicate card of Joe DiMaggio) to SGC to be graded. And guess what?.....they said it was trimmed!! He was infuriated by this and I don't blame him. He took the card to another reputable grading company who graded it - no questions asked. I have known this guy for a number of years and this isn't a story he would make up and he had no reason to trim any card. Hell, he's got everything in his collection. Anways, as we've long suspected....the grading companies are not very good in detecting trimmed cards. Anyone have a similar story?

P.S. Scott, have you got some cheese to go with my bottle of Kendall Jackson? Gotta have cheese with my whine when I'm sniping <chuckle>!!