View Single Post
Old 07-06-2007, 10:48 AM
Administrator

Default Perils of onsite auctions

Posted By: martindl

I am a frequent participant in onsite auctions, be they estate sales or just locally run auctions. I collect many things, enjoy the experience very much and have found more than a few bargains.

I found an online listing for an auction with numerous baseball items, including some T206's and caramels. The site had photo's and I had the auctioneer send me more. I had some choices - bid as an absentee bidder, bid as a phone bidder, or drive 2 1/2 hours to the auction. With nothing much on the schedule I decided to attend in person.

Smart move on my part. You just cannot beat having a card in your hands, even if its in lucite. On the three cards that I was interested in, based on the photo's I'd have said that would have been PSA 4-5, PSA 3-4 and PSA 2 and would have bid accordingly. Two were big name HOF'ers. In person, the cards were more likely PSA 2, PSA 2 and PSA 1-2, with the possibility of trimming on the last card.

I did bid but dropped out quite early. A phone bidder and an absentee bidder battled and split the cards. I think both are going to be quite disappointed when they get their cards and see what they're really like, especially for what they paid.

To a lot of you new collectors of vintage, its a dilemma when you can't be there in person, but be conservative in your approach. You'll likely be happier that way.