View Single Post
Old 06-16-2010, 10:45 PM
Joe Gonsowski

I've been to both numerous times but assuming I started with a clean slate and could only pick one, I would pick the HOF. I'm a softy for baseball history, enjoy being in the country (as opposed to being in an unfamiliar city), and the HOF should be cheaper (better chance you'll go broke at the National).

There is a significant HOF opportunity that few take advange of . . . that is researching items of interest to you in their library. The HOF collection is far greater than what you'll find on display. Make an appointment ahead of time to review books, memorabilia, or cards of most interest to you. As an example, I've been able to view rarely seen Tomlinson cabinets (including several large 16"x20" 19th century Detroit team photos) and hundreds of N172 and N173 cards. I've studied the Old Judge collection on three different visits and learned more each time.

Baseball HOF is a great visit for collectors and historians alike. That being said, I also really enjoy the National but won't be making this year for the first time since maybe 2003.
- 19th century Detroit memorabilia and cards with emphasis on Goodwin & Co. issues ( N172 / N173 / N175 ) and Tomlinson cabinets
- N333 SF Hess Newsboys League cards (all teams)
- Pre ATC Merger (1890 and prior) cigarette packs and redemption coupons from all manufacturers

Last edited by Joe_G.; 06-16-2010 at 10:47 PM.