View Single Post
Old 04-19-2014, 04:34 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbcard1 View Post
The old saying goes, one of my greatest fears is that my wife would sell my cards for what I told her I paid for them....

A former business partner of mine passed from lymphoma and I spend a couple of years disposing of his collection. I think I did ok. I suspect it was a retail or $100k and I probably got $60k out of it after expenses, which was a very nice start to a college fund for his daughter. it was very hard work. I loved my partner and his family though and I was glad to do it. I also got to meet some great people like Ted Z through the process. That said, I don't have any great candidates who would do the same for me.

My son knows some about the cards...probably enough not to get fleeced. I have old friends like Rand Bailey who could be called on to help. I also have a pretty good insurance policy that should more than take care of things (I am a partner in a business) and while I would certainly hope to get a good amount from my collection, it is not a critical part of my "exit strategy."

All that said, I am thinking of thinning the herd. This begs a few questions...what would I do with the money that would make a difference in my life and that I would enjoy more than the cards? We live simply and my home is paid for. I drive a car that is paid for and I like. Money in the bank doesn't grow...and I don't need another hobby. I have an income that is sufficient to allow me to give to the causes that are important to me...so I have some thinking to do.
Todd, sounds like you are not in a bad place. If I were you I would consider "holding what I have" for a while.

Last edited by Leon; 04-19-2014 at 04:35 PM.