View Single Post
Old 10-09-2009, 06:21 PM
Ted Zanidakis

Default Jamie....Scot....and, a lighter shade of Green

Consider the following......

In the Summer of 1910, the AMERICAN BEAUTY 350 (with FRAME) cards were first launched....192 subjects are found
with this back (including the 6 super-prints).
Is there a possible correlation between the light green color of the backs of the 66 cards in the SOVEREIGN "350/460"
series and the light green color of the FRAME design on the backs of the AMERICAN BEAUTY 350 cards ?

Check out the scans of these backs....Am I imagining this, or were the light green SOVEREIGN backs printed with same
green ink as the AB frame design and the "Base Ball Series....350 Subjects" lettering ?

Continuing......however, the "AMERICAN BEAUTY CIGARETTES" lettering appears to be somewhat similar to the forest
green ink on the SOVEREIGN 350 card of Irv Young. I may be wrong, but I think the AB 350 backs were printed with 2
different shades of green.

Scot

If I recall correctly from your timeline, the general 350/460 cards were first launched Summer/Fall 1910.

Jamie

I like your theory that possibly explains how (or why) certain 350 series cards were selected to continue into the 460
series. However, Joe Doyle (intended 350/460 subject) appears to be an exception to this rule. Since the established
thinking on Doyle's card was that he was printed in the initial 350 series press run (re..Doyle error card).

[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]

TED Z