View Single Post
Old 08-14-2016, 05:36 PM

I have many fond memories of growing up in the suburbs of Chicago, rooting for the Cubs and White Sox. Even got to go to a few games at Wrigley and Comiskey.

Be that as it may, as much as I loved those experiences, they are nothing compared to the times I watched the Olympic Games on television. I watched, glued to the television screen, the fabulous, constant edge of your seat contest between Team USA and Russia that came to be known as "The Miracle on Ice". I had absolutely no idea who would win beforehand. I sure would not have wanted to know. I don't get into spoilers.

No thanks, bask in the game at Wrigley, eat half a dozen hot dogs and enjoy four Cokes, and have some great memories. But I'm going to continue to love watching the Olympic Games, and try my best not to get sucked into the silly controversies that so many want to incite. These wretched rabble rousers make incidents over this, that, and the other. Such is our crummy sick society of today.

One thing's for sure. I'm continuing to bask in the glow of the great one----Usain Bolt. The media aptly describe him as a cornball; I love that cornball. There's a lot of charisma in that gentleman. "TO DI WORLD!!!!!" The greatest sprinter ever, taking nothing away from Mr. Owens.

Then again, it's not like things have never gotten out of hand before---we just got the Internet and Social Media madness today.

I well remember American Dave Wottle winning one of, if not the greatest ever, 800 meters track race at the 1972 Olympics in Munich. He was hopelessly behind at the 400, and then proceeded to slowly pick it up and pick off the entire field. He wore a painter's cap during the race. On the medals podium, he continued to wear that cap, to the horror and outrage of a million self-righteous American TV viewers.

Why Dave? Oh how could you?

Answer, in such words, he simply forgot to take it off in the excitement of the moment, and being whupped from whupping the field in the race! Hey, at least his hand was over his heart.

The Olympics---Billy Mills, Bob Schul, Jim Ryun, , Kip Keino, Olga Korbut, Lasse Viren, Steve Prefontaine, Frank Shorter, Nadia, Rick Wholhuter (mis-spelled, no doubt), Eric Heiden, Mark Spitz, Zola Budd (you should have won, honey; you were great, you rock, and it wasn't your fault!!!)---and from long, long ago, Eric Liddell (Chariots of Fire). I saw each of them on TV and was thrilled right down to my bones, save for Mr. Liddell.

As I love to read certain history books, I was inspired by, and devoured, THE LONELY BREED, by Ron Clarke and Malcolm Harris. I was inspired by the beautifully-written chapters on Vladimir Kuts, Paavo Nurmi, Herb Elliott, Murray Halberg, and Emil "The Terrible" Zatopek. Heroes in my mind that stand so much taller than just about any baseball player. I come by these feelings honestly; you see, I was a long-distance runner in high school and college.

Oh, later last evening, I remembered several others that stirred my spirit--Wrestlers Dan Gable and Chris Taylor, and that powerful Norwegian in the 1992 Winters games, Vegard Ulvang.

Thanks, my fellow old fogey, for a wonderful trip down memory lane! Yeah, I still rise and put my hand over my heart, and BELT OUT "THE STAR SPANGLED BANNER"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ---Brian Powell

Last edited by brian1961; 08-17-2016 at 11:38 AM.