View Single Post
Old 05-14-2009, 12:07 PM
Alan Elefson

Default Vintage bat questions

Hi-
I recently acquired the vintage bat pictured below and I was wondering if anyone might be able to assist me in answering a few questions. The bat is 36 inches long and has 36 stamped on the knob. The barrel reads WILLIAMS STYLE and the label area reads Yankee Clipper (in script, cannot be seen in photos below) under which is a ship, and under that it says STALL & DEAN and BROCKTON MASS as the last line of text.
1. I assume the Wiiliams style is referring to Ted Williams but I wanted to make sure. Is this a store model Ted Williams style bat?
2. Was the Yankee Clipper title and the ship commonplace on Stall & Dean bats over the years?
3. Could anyone provide an approximate age and possible value range for this bat?
4. This next question has nothing to do with this bat but I have always been curious. How can you tell if a bat is "hand turned" versus "machine turned"? I have seen the "hand turned" designation in other posts on this forum but I am hopeful that someone might be able to provide me with tips for how to tell the difference (and what, if any, significance it might carry).
I would greatly appreciate any information regarding this bat. I really appreciate everyone's previous efforts in helping with my questions.
Thanks in advance,
Alan Elefson
aelefson@hotmail.com
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket