View Single Post
Old 12-14-2018, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drcy View Post
i'm a cure fan, but, to be honest, it makes no difference to me if they are in a hall or not. They were an alternative band. Being elected members of a hall of fame would be totally against what was the intent and philosophy of an anti-establishment band like the sex pistols. And if you've ever heard an interview of robert smith, you'd know he'd be the first to scoff at the idea of being elected to a music hall of fame. You should hear what he said about the british royalty and royal titles when someone asked if he would ever be knighted.

But, if there is a deserving band, roxy music would be one. I'm surprised there's a debate about that and was surprised to learn they weren't already elected.

But, to each his own, and, as they say, art is in the eye of the beholder.

Personally, i see the merits of a rock and roll museum, but an elected rock and roll "hall of fame" always seemed like a dumb idea on its very face to me. No doubt it was concocted at least in part to make money (sell tickets). Thus, whether or not my favorite bands are members of a dumb idea makes no difference to me. In fact, if i had to choose, i'd prefer they not be members.

One problem with many halls of fame, including mlb and rock and roll, is the feel compelled (= $$$) to elect someone each year no matter what. Of course it would be refreshing if the baseball hall of fame or nobel prize would say "sorry, no one deserving this year."

but yes, i also saw the point (and humor) of the initial post that the first wave included bands such as the beatles, the rolling stones and elvis presley, and now its the cure and def leppard.
+1,000,000