View Single Post
Old 04-23-2015, 08:23 PM
Drew Ekb@ck

While I am much more of a card collector than an autograph collector but I think about this all the time. What I have realized over the years is that most of the thrill of collecting (at least for me) is actually collecting not just owning. I love the thrill of the hunt. To find a rare item or build a set or collection based around something, that's fun.

Many times I am laser focused on a project but once completed it get stored and barely looked at since my focus changes.

I have sold parts, both large and small, of my collection in the past to fund an experience. For example, about two years ago I sold half of my HOF card collection and gave the money to my wife for her 49th birthday to take a trip of her choice. She planned and took a trip last year that she wouldn't have done otherwise. We still talk about everything that we did on the trip but I rarely look back at the pictures of the cards I had to sell to fund it.

The only things I won't sell is items that were given to me along the way. My wife has given me some amazing pieces in my collection and they are among the most treasured to me. My mom only ever gave me one card in her life before she passed away but I would never sell it or get rid of it even though it has almost no real monetary value anymore. (1990 Leaf Sammy Sosa rc).

It almost seems to me that you are starting to see this in your collection. Sell off some things that owning isn't as fun as when you found them and buy something needed or fund a new desire.

It is all cyclical. What I worry the most is passing on suddenly and leaving my collection for my wife and kids to figure out what to do with. None of them have any interest in it at this point so the burden for them to sell seems great.

Drew