View Single Post
Old 09-06-2012, 06:17 PM
Bill Panagopulos

Following up on "leap of faith" items:

Years ago I sold a watch purportedly given by Marilyn Monroe to JFK on the night of his birthday gala at MSG. Provenance was so-so at best, but the watch dated correctly, engraving was correct, it was encased in a $6,000 gold antique case in a fitted Rolex box, came from an excellent source in the UK, with some limited paperwork. But Rolex was uncooperative with sales records and serial numbers, despite my machinations.

All we had in the way of written provenance was a typed statement with an indecipherable signature and a statement by the sister of one of JFK's top aides, who was not a party to the transaction. Did my due diligence on the physical evidence - there were no autographs involved - and sold the piece with a three-page description advising EXACTLY what we had found, and nothing more.

That's how dealers deal with relics, since that's all you really have to go with, and buyers bid having the same info we do. That's faith...and a gamble. Of course, unlike the infamous Elvis hair, if we had found out it was (allegedly) bogus, it would have been out the door in a flash (instead of having been repeatedly repackaged with the same (allegedly) bogus attribution). Have to be careful in this litigious world...