View Single Post
Old 10-25-2006, 04:53 PM
Administrator

Default Passing on cards at last years shows....

Posted By: jay behrens

I'll really date myself on those shows. That last one I went to was in 1983, the first in 1980. The first one I went to, I remember someone having some OJs there, including a Harvey Stovey, which I really wanted, but passed on it to buy a bunch of Rose rookie cards and other Rose cards. I also picked up 2 stunning 56 Topps cards of Clemente and Jackie Robinson. The color on the Robinson was unreal. I wish I still had that card. It was something to behold. I also a few t205s and t206s and bunch 55 Topps. Lee bought 200-300 57 Topps at the auction for really cheap price, even for that time. Something like $10 for the group. There were very sharp and included a lot of HOFers.

The other memorable thing from that show is that I got into it with Larry Fritsch about his pricing. Even as a teenager I was a baseball card terrorist He had a beat to death 56 Clemente that look like it just came out of the spokes of a bike. He wanted $5 for the card. I had already seen the card I would ultimately buy and it was priced at $3. I asked him how he could charge $5 for that card when a NM example barely booked for that much. He told me I had no clue what I was talking about and quit bothering him.

I also remember seeing a really nice t205 Matty for $10, but passed. Damn that Pete Rose fixation back then, lol.

Jay

I love pinatas. You get to beat the crap of something and get rewarded with candy.