View Single Post
Old 02-01-2007, 10:47 AM
Administrator

Default Hijacked Threads

Posted By: warshawlaw

Since I posted the song lyrics that put Jim and others into this hissy fit, I will respond:

First, I think you are missing the point of this: FUN!! All of the posts on this being a community are exactly on point. Many of us are friends or friendly and friends kick silly stuff around, share jokes, etc. Since the active posters live all over the country and do not see the whole group in person more than once or twice a year, we socialize here. Without the sort of social levity provided by common jokes, cultural references, etc., things quickly become stale, boring and hostile. Perhaps you prefer a deadly serious tone at all times; most of the people who post here do not, as is proven by the reaction that the occasional fun post provokes.

Second, I am tired of the self-important twaddle I read here with increasing frequency. These are baseball cards, for heaven’s sake! No one lives or dies over them. Most of us use them to relax and unwind, not solve the world’s crises. Did you ever stop to think that perhaps the vast majority of the active posters here (many of whom happily chime in on rock and tv trivia, for example), don’t give a damn about the issues that are important to you, but have the good social grace not to say so? A little humility, please.

Third, for anyone to post (and this isn’t the first time) that only some people here matter is not only incredibly arrogant; it is also astoundingly short-sighted. Consider this: I have cards that the “people who matter” would purchase, but I will not sell them to those people as a matter of principle, spite or whatever else you want to call it, because I do not like the way they treat others. Remember, I don’t have to do business with you and you don’t have to do business with me. I’d hazard a guess that most of the people who have the cards that the “people who matter” want to buy have sufficient assets that they don’t have to sell them. If your goal is to purchase top flight cards direct from their owners without going through an auctioneer, perhaps telling the general populace of this board that they are gum on your shoe isn’t the way to go. Hasn’t anyone ever told you that you catch more flies with honey than vinegar?