View Single Post
Old 04-19-2013, 09:02 AM
Jeff P

Default Correcting a few misconceptions

I love it when baseball card collectors talk football ;-) However, a couple of things that Zone91 were told are not true.

1) True football experts now put the estimate for the number of Dunlop cards to be between 20 - 30. It's still pretty rare but isn't even close to the rarest football card that exists. There are 14-15 graded Dunlop's between PSA and SGC. The others aren't graded. Due to the press around some recent findings of this card, others have popped up in the past year.

2) At least 4-5 Dunlop's have been sold on the public market during the past year so this card does come up for auction more frequently than you have been told. There have been years, however, where it did not appear in an auction so it's definitely not a given that you can find one if you want one. I've been offered three of them in the past year so they are definitely out there, though.

The question as to whether the Dunlop card is the Holy Grail of football cards hugely depends upon your perspective. Some serious collectors prefer a high grade National Chicle Nagurski to the Dunlop simply because Nagurski was a pro star whereas Dunlop was barely a starter on his college team and unknown to the general population. His claim to fame is due to a printing error that left his name off the card. This is probably why the population of this card is lower than the other cards in the N302 Mayo set.

Others consider star cards with lower population to be the big dogs of the hobby. As examples, I believe there are only two Star Player Candy Red Grange cards and two Rogers Peet Ken Strong cards known to exist.

I personally love the Dunlop card and wouldn't trade it for any of the others.

jeff