View Single Post
Old 05-19-2012, 02:03 PM
L@nce Fit.tro

Quote:
Originally Posted by glchen View Post
Thanks, Lance, for your feedback. I'll definitely look into picking up that book.

You mentioned in this thread Link that Culver back stamps are not covered in the Yee/Fogel book. Do you know if there is some other reference that has this? Thanks!
Not that I'm aware of, but I would be glad to be corrected on that as I am always looking for new references for this sort of thing.

My understanding is that Culver did not employ photographers of their own, so that any Culver stamping on a photograph would date when it arrived and/or was transferred from their files, not necessarily when the photograph was taken or the print produced. So even if you could tie the Culver stamping to a particular period, at best that would give you a "couldn't have been produced any later than" date for the photograph rather than an accurate dating of the print itself. The information could be useful in some cases, but the second-hand stamping would also make it more difficult to compile enough examples to narrow down the dates on the different stamping styles. Hopefully that makes sense (it sounded better in my head before I started typing )