View Single Post
Old 04-28-2012, 07:10 AM
P*ter Me@d

Default absolutely doable

The 1962 Post set is probably the easiest of the sets to complete. The SPs are reasonably priced and none of them are prohibitively expensive. 1961 comes in second place--with a few of the company only cards a bit pricey (Stobbs and Estrada are the two toughies). The 63 Jello and Post sets both have some hard to find SPs. There are probably ten or twelve tough SPs in the Post set with Yaz, Aspromonte and Adair being the hardest to find(--in my opinion at any rate). There are at least 40SPs in the Jello set--I can't say any of them are harder than any other, but it takes time to track all of them down. It is easier to put together a composite set of Jello/Post--because the Curt Flood, Yaz, Lumpe, Jiminez and Jim Bunning cards are pretty easy to find on the Jello side of the equation and SPs on the Post side. Aspromonte, Adair and Billy Williams are tough in both sets.

The 62 Post Canadian set has some almost impossible short prints--Berra, Rocky Bridges, Tasby, Romano, Dick Williams, Hal Smith among others. You can pick up the first 150 easily--and then the quest stalls.

And finally the 1962 Jello is flat out tough. The book is completely off on valuations and the last 30-40 cards are really hard to track down. It is much easier to find cards of the stars of the day than it is the common players. You will see many more Willie Mays, Hank Aaron, Ernie Banks, Frank Robinson and Joey Jay cards than Alex Grammas, Hal Smith and Vern Laws.