View Single Post
Old 12-06-2019, 06:33 PM
Ted Zanidakis

Default Reflections on 1949 BOWMAN's (25 HOFers, many Rookies)...show-N-tell us of your cards

My BOWMAN PCL find...…
I received a call from a guy back in the late 1980's who grew up in the Philadelphia area. Jim wanted to sell me his BOWMAN and TOPPS
collections. He collected Sportscards as a kid in the late 1940's and early 1950's.

I was especially interested in his 1949 BOWMAN cards since I was starting a 2nd set. Jim had 150+ 1949 BOWMAN's. When he started to
describe them to me, I was in for quite a surprise for they included six PCL cards. He recalled these PCL cards were intermixed with the
regular BOWMAN cards in 5-cent packs. Jim recalls being confused, since the PCL cards were in the same packs as cards whose numbers
were in the 100's.
Incidentally, the cards in his entire collection were in amazing condition. Needless to say, the PCL cards were upgrades into my PCL set.

Here is the first page (of 3 pages) from my 1949 BOWMAN album. which includes the PCL set.

……....… Lee Anthony ……………….……….…… George Metkovich ………..………...…...….. Ralph Hodgin

…….. "Sheriff" Gassaway ………………..…...…..… Tony Freitas …..……...………..……. Gordon Maltzberger

……..… Ken Holcombe ………………..…………..…… Don Ross ……...……..…….…...…...… "Inky" Coscarart

…...….. "Jeep" Handley …………………….....…… Herman Besse ……….....…..…………...…. John Lazor

TED Z

T206 Reference