View Single Post
Old 04-02-2018, 06:13 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

I think it was Ernst but maybe he went by Ernie.
I was told yesterday that PSA took this card off of their registry as to it being Ruth. I haven't confirmed it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mantlefan View Post
I AM surprised that it was pulled. Good work Steve.

I sent this email to a few people at PSA and have never received a reply:

March 5, 2018

Hi xxe

I hope you are well.

I know it's not in your expertise, but maybe you could forward this to the right person in research at PSA. This card does not depict Babe Ruth, although PSA, SGC and Beckett say it does.

I was going through some of my oddball Babe Ruth cards and came across this one. Supposedly it's a 1935 Muratti cigarette card of Babe Ruth and Olympic diver, Dorothy Boynton. The card back mentions that in 1928 Dorothy, a diver, was 14 and the youngest athlete ever to win an Olympic medal. It states that she won the 1932 Gold for diving in LA. The photo was taken at the 1932 Olympics. There is no mention though of the Babe on the front or back.

He seems kind of slim to be Babe and I think the nose is wrong. Also, the Olympics in LA ran July 30, 1932 to August 14, 1932. Babe played for the Yankees in Detroit, Chicago and St. Louis on those dates.

The card actually depicts Dorothy Poynton's coach, Ernie Brandsten:

Here is Ernie at the same spot coaching another swimmer. Same hat, bow tie and socks:

I hope something can be done about this situation. People are paying $300 - $400 for this card in PSA 8, believing they purchased a Ruth card, when they haven't.

Best,

Frank Evanov

Last edited by Leon; 04-02-2018 at 06:14 AM.