View Single Post
Old 03-15-2016, 08:29 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Burdick knew about T213 and cataloged them correctly. As much as anyone, this is a general statement to T206 guys, wants to twist and turn his thinking on the subject, it is clearly laid out in his ACC. All anyone really has to do is read what he wrote and not read anything else into it. I am of the understanding Burdick knew he made mistakes, knew he didn't know a fraction of what there was about cards, but he knew T213 well enough to separate them from T206. He should be commended instead of questioned, on this series, in my opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieBaseball View Post
Pete,
Yes, a possible small find might up the ante a bit, but I think time is all we need as to me there is more information and indication these are one of the brands that Burdick simply missed when he established 15 brands as T206. I think Leon's post with Burdick's "T213" information is even more viable to the debate b/c he addresses T213 as only 2 Types. "name in brown" and "name in blue". In 1960 he made no mention of the Type 3 Blue letter Coupon from 1919. I think that is one bit of information that is key in analyzing how much he really knew about them, and then to pour more water on his knowledge of Coupons, he didn't even know how many cards were in the Type 1 or Type 2 set as indicated with no number given (See below image/info Leon posted earlier in this thread) when he clearly gives a number for other sets like T209 Type 1 "16 known" and Type 2 "213 known" He didn't put any number beside the Coupons because he didn't have enough information and the rarity of Type 1 Coupons... (He didn't have a handle on 68 known subjects, nor did he even wager a "known" guess like he did with Type 1 and 2 T209s.) Totally understandable as these rascals are simply super rare. One other bit of information I have discovered about his "travels to the South" were he may have never stumbled upon many Type 1 Coupons b/c from what I have read about his Card find travels, he spend most of his travel in retirement areas of Florida and up and down the East coast. He even makes mention in one of his letters to Lionel Carter he was generally not too pleased with the amount of material available on his trips South. (Perhaps South only meant Florida and he actually didn't make it over to New Orleans area where the Coupons were probably more prevalent. He certainly has documented his trips and it seems he viewed going South as going down to Florida. (Not Louisiana) Totally understandable. With the rarity of the card, there probably were not a whole lot of cards that moved around the U.S. back in the day. Times have certainly changed. UPS for example was just setting up service in the South in the late 60's. (65-69 in Tennessee, Alabama, Louisiana, etc.) so basically the mail was it. No internet, limited communication as well as folks wrote letters. Limited phone use... I think there is way more evidence of Coupon simply being a brand he missed and I think the Type 2 and 3 were the reason as it threw him off with the blue lettering, date of release, etc. Anyway - The debate rages on. I think T206 folks have to at the very least recognize its possible. I see more evidence that its one of the 16 ATC brands, and belongs, than it's own separate brand and should be not part of the other 15 brands. Common sense...