View Single Post
Old 03-31-2023, 01:20 PM
Bob C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCMcKenzie View Post
On a similar topic to Nic's.

A board member is working on a mid-tier hofer back run. He reaches out to me to see if I have a dupe of a rare card from T213-2 Coupon. I do. I paid $90 12 years ago from a BIN from Joe's Vintage. It has a sticker on the back that states "90-" in Joe's handwriting. SGC 10 with paper loss on front.

He offered a raw T213-3 common with front and back damage. I am thinking about it, and asked him to to throw in a low grade common t206. I haven't heard back. Should I forget about it?
No, I wouldn't forget about doing such a trade, assuming you are happy to get the two cards you're trading for. The only thing is, you technically end up owing income tax on the difference between the $90 you originally paid for the T213-2 Coupon card you're now trading away, and whatever the then current FMV is of the T213-3 and T206 cards you traded for, as of the date you made the trade.

Just remember to keep track of/a record of the trade so you know what your tax basis going forward is for the two cards you just traded for. It should be the FMV of both cards at the time of the trade you then use to figure out how much in sales proceeds you'll be reporting on your tax return from the deemed sale of the T213-2 card you just traded away.