View Single Post
Old 11-12-2007, 08:20 AM
Administrator

Default Whose Going to Step Into GAI's Shoes or Is It Just the Big Two?

Posted By: Ted Holden

This just in from Beckett's newsletter.

http://www.beckett.com/estore/news/?eskin=beckett&a=8942&s=1&utm_source=111107hobbyemail&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Featured%20Story

Compelled by growing posts filled with allegedly inaccurate information on industry message boards, GAI vice president of business development Steve Sipe reiterated Thursday afternoon that the California-based sports memorabilia grading and authentication company is not shutting its doors.

"The company is not going out of business," Sipe said adamantly. "Everybody's stuff is safe in a secure location. Our old landlord, we were negotiating, and the guy said 'you gotta be out,' gave us a notice and that's how it happened. It's just been a debacle."

According to Sipe, negotiations for the company's new lease lasted longer than anticipated, causing a delay in GAI's ability to reestablish phone and internet connections.

"Our IT guy is doing everything he can to get this thing fixed so the Web site's up," Sipe said. "We've got to have a location to be able to put the phone in and get it going. If you don't have a location to transfer it to so people can be in the building answering phones, what can you do?"

Collectors seeking information from GAI about their orders have for the past few days been unable to contact the company either by phone (disconnected) or via its Website, which was inoperable as of Thursday afternoon. Emails to the company went unanswered.

Sipe said he felt it necessary to reemphasize the company's stance today in an effort to put GAI's many customers at ease, all of whom have entrusted the company with varying parts of their collections.

"I'm just trying to help people understand that [GAI] is not going anywhere and that they're stuff is fine," he said. "The company's still there, it just had to move. Otherwise, I would let you know. Hopefully, by tomorrow, this will all be a passing moment.

"We'll get through it. I'm sure there are some upset people. I personally just wanted to take this upon myself because there's nothing worse than no information."

Texas Ted