View Single Post
Old 11-29-2013, 11:58 PM
Bill Gregory

Default Am I wrong for considering a return on this card?

Hey guys.

I got the two cards I ordered last week today. One I am quite happy with. The second I am not, and I am considering doing something I have only done three times in the nearly four years since coming back to the hobby. And that's returning a card.

I had a small list of T206 portraits that I was considering adding before the new year. One was a T206 Fred Clarke.

I happened to see this card about 20 minutes before the auction end. When I brought the auction up, there was but one picture displayed where pictures are normally shown. It was not a scanned picture like the one I have shown above, but it was taken with a camera, and at an angle. I brought the picture up, looked it over, examining the edges and corners, and felt that everything was what I would expect from a PSA 3. Since the auction was ending soon, I started doing my research. I went to card target, and looked up the card's history in that grade, and checked PSA's price guide to see where the SMR was. I did the same on a few other cards I was interested in. I put my bids in, and ended up winning the Clarke card. The seller listed a 14 day return policy, and had the new "Top Rated Plus" icon by their seller ID. So I thought there would be no issues returning the card if need be.

When I got it in the mail today today, and looked it over under my loupe, I was pretty disappointed with what I saw. One corner was not exhibiting the corner wear I'd expect with a PSA 3, but something that should have, in my opinion, downgraded the card much further. It was not average wear, or even above average wear. A whole portion of the upper left corner was missing.

Per PSA's grading guidelines on corners:

Quote:
VG 3: Very Good
A PSA VG 3 card reveals some rounding of the corners, though not extreme.
Quote:
FR 1.5: Fair
A PSA Fair 1.5 card's corners will show extreme wear, possibly affecting framing of the picture.
Here are pictures of the card's top from the front and back, with guidelines showing where the card should come up to:

Now, when I saw this card prior to entering a bid, I was on my laptop. So my viewing area was understandably smaller. But to my recollection, every time a seller has posted multiple pictures of a card, the others appeared below the main image as a thumbnail you could click on. Well, as it turns out, this auction had two other images. You had to keep scrolling down more to see them. And that return guarantee? The seller offers it with the proviso that you can return it only if the item received differs greatly from the auction description. It does in my opinion, as that corner is not consistent with a 3, but a lower grade. But that's really not the seller's fault, as PSA goofed. However, I also feel that if a card has issues that might not be readily apparent, like creases, or in this case, fairly substantial damage to a corner, that should be listed in the auction description. It is not.

How do I make this right? I am not returning this because I simply changed my mind. If the corner were similar to the other three, there would be no issue. I'd be happy with this card. Do I contact the seller, advise them I want to return the card, and request a partial refund? I don't want them to lose any money. I bought this for $113.50. There were other bidders over $100. If I offered to let them keep $15, and try to resell it, or offer it to one of the under bidders for $100, that would make the seller whole, would it not?

Ebay changes the rules, and the layout so often, that I can't keep up. Ebay says a Top Rated Plus item can be returned for a refund. Can a seller have this status, and then reject your refund request?

I'd love your input, guys. Thank you!

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.