View Single Post
Old 03-13-2010, 10:45 PM
Dave
Da.ve Kra.bal

I agree with Scott. Though we here get a good laugh out of these auctions, some unknowing collector or speculator usually gets duped. that is unless alot of the winners of these types of auctions are shills. It's hard to tell these days with Ebay practically protecting these types of sellers. It's really bad for the hobby too if these cards are being manufactured in great numbers. It's so easy to fool people on Ebay and the flea market types around here do it as much as they can. Just put up a bunch of authentic commons for sale and add a nice goudey Ruth reprint soaked in Earl Grey and rubbed on the driveway , and alot of people would say you were legit. I've seen re-prints supposedly sell for hundreds on Ebay and it's because someone believed it was a real card. I'm not sure what we as collecotrs can do other than to report such fraud when and where we see it. the problem is really Ebay. I remember in 2007 there was a class being offered by someone in Dayton and in Lebanon ...one of the techniques they were teaching people was how to sell re-prints as real cards by using vague listings and blurry photos, etc...Kind of makes me wish for the old Teletrade days !!

Last edited by T206DK; 03-13-2010 at 10:46 PM.