View Single Post
Old 03-27-2023, 01:37 PM
Ge0rge Tr0end1e

Default No good deed goes unpunished!

Unfortunately, I was tied up and was late to the original question asked by Frank. In order to preserve my standing to show my Matthews card, I will digress to introduce another important 1924 Senator: Wade Lefler:

In 1924 two obscure outfielders played out-sized roles during the Washington Senators run to an American League pennant and World Series championship. One of them was Wid Matthews; the other was Wade Lefler.

As is discussed above, "Spark Plug" Matthews had an important, albeit abbreviated, role in Washington success early in the 1924 season. Lefler, who got a total of only 8 plate appearances, contributed multiple key hits in Washington victories during the furious pennant race with the Yankees. Neither Matthews nor Leffler were on Washington's World Series roster. After the World Series, in what was an unusual gesture at the time, the Washington players voted to give both Matthews and Lefler bonus payments, though reduced to a 1/5 share.

Lefler, a putative lawyer, who would eventually quit baseball to practice law full-time, took offense at what he felt was too small a share:

"I feel that I am entitled to at least one-third of a share. While I naturally am pleased at being on a championship team and that I was able to help some in bringing the pennant to Washington, baseball is a business with me and I don’t think I am being properly paid for value received."

Lefler complained so often and so loudly that Washington first sent him to Memphis where he eventually became part of a trade. It would appear that Lefler was a better, or at least more instinctive, lawyer than he was a baseball player.

Does anybody have a Lefler card? Val?

https://www.net54baseball.com/attach...1&d=1679945575
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1923-24W461-3ExhibitsNoBorderMathews3047Front.jpg (95.0 KB, 71 views)