View Single Post
Old 11-15-2017, 10:03 AM
Al Jurgela

Default Low "Value"; High "Sentiment"

So today I got a my winnings from Leland's and in it was one a card that has tremendous sentimental value to me (but I recognize that it would be of minimal importance to most collectors that are not die-hard Cuban/Latin collectors). It is a 1947 Mexican League card of Lazaro Salazar.

For those of you who do not know who Lazaro Salazar is, I forgive you. The little time that he spent in the USA was in the Negro Leagues (though he performed quite well). He is a member of the Cuban, Mexican and Venezuelan HOFs and is pretty much considered the best Manager in Mexican baseball history. He was also an outstanding two way player (though not nearly as good as Martin DiHigo). Regardless, none of this is why I am so interested in him.

I am interested in him mainly due to the stories of him that I heard from my father in law (who lived in Monterrey, Mexico) as a child. His leadership. His desire to win. His ability to do whatever the team needed. A super leader and person. In short, he was one of my late father-in-law's idols. In collecting Salazar's items, I feel closer to my late father-in-law even though he is no longer with us. That is worth a lot to me as he was an amazing dude.

I figured that many of you guys (and gals) may have similar stories that would be great to hear.

If you want to learn more about Salazar, here is a link to a SABR article about him.

https://sabr.org/bioproj/person/f2fa0932

Here is the card that lifted my heart today as well:
50 Hage's Dairy (Minoso)
All Oscar Charleston Cards
Rare Soccer cards
Rare Boxing cards

Last edited by aljurgela; 11-15-2017 at 10:07 AM. Reason: misspelling