View Single Post
Old 03-21-2013, 12:42 PM
Richard Simon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mighty bombjack View Post
I'm with you on the chopping of a letter and the incomplete auto, but you must not understand why people collect baseball cards and why they hold any value at all.

Autographs? ZERO intrinsic value. Trading cards? ZERO intrinsic value. The value of these things is socially constructed, and it happens to be multiplied at their intersection. Greater fool theory? Lots of people think we members of this board are all fools for putting values on slips of paper that used to go in the trash. If people approached these things rationally, there would be no autograph dealers at all.
You are right in many respects Wayne but I can sell a Theodore Roosevelt autograph all over the civilized world but I could only sell a rookie card of Mike Trout in the good old USA. So autograph dealers might survive a bit longer than baseball card dealers in a rational world . But this is not a rational world, so why me worry??
www.bonanza.com/booths/richsports
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow