View Single Post
Old 11-16-2015, 08:30 AM
Michael Br0wne

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyC View Post
I disagree. I buy them, and intend to hold mine til I croak. This is because I buy things to collect and enjoy, not to worry over what they might cost in a decade, especially based on internet prognostications. So I'll take the sure thing of the decade of sheer enjoyment over the maybe scenario from the internet guy. Some of us actually get great enjoyment from cards, and would never part with a favorite piece because of what it may cost in 10 years.

As to the monetary side of things, there are decades of history now that show the 52T Mantle appreciating in price over the long haul, peppered with occasional surges. So if I am betting, I am weighting that long history most, and deem it more likely to continue, rather than it breaking for what would be an unprecedented anomalous event.
Well said. +1.

I think many folks, like myself, want one or have wanted one with much desire, but the card has taken another of its periodical "surges" you mention.

When one misses the boat like this, a human being has two ways they can react (of course among others)...

One choice is to work harder to try and obtain one ASAP.

The other choice is to soothe oneself by saying, "The card price is gonna crash, so I'm actually happy that I can't get one right now."

I am not deluding myself. The card is an icon to any baseball card collector, and even "hobby outsiders" I have met greet that card with a pure smile.

I am choosing to work harder and one day get one.

I think to wait ten years or even five for something I love-- when life can be nasty, brutish, and short, as the saying goes---- is folly. Especially when realizing that history, lots of history, says the card---- and undoubtedly its nicer specimens in each and every grade---- will keep rising in price. Especially when the view that prices will suddenly come down out of nowhere in ten years is likely (in my own opinion, thinking from a psychology point of view) a view that comes from a place of not having what one desires.

In summation, I tip my cap to those who already own one (a double tip of the cap if the card is even partially centered!). It must give you gentlemen much pleasure to hold and look at. I will know that pleasure soon.

Last edited by MetsBaseball1973; 11-16-2015 at 08:52 AM.