View Single Post
Old 09-17-2001, 02:22 PM
Administrator

Default Rebacked Old Judge Cards

Posted By: Tom Boblitt

Don't know if I can actually tell you how but it depends on the type of material used for rebacking. If it is some other material than an original old judge back, it will often look different and may be stiffer or less or more thick. I've bought a couple of Old Judges from Mike that were rebacked and they were in the VGEX or better range and they were about $60 each. That was, of course, about 2 years ago when things were a LOT cheaper. 19th century stuff has boomed since then so I'd expect to pay about 50-60% of what a similar card was priced. So, like for an EX condition common, current prices are about 200-250 bucks anymore. I'd say $100-$125 would be a going price. If it was a botched rebacking, I'd be nervous about it. I have about 30 nice Old Judges I soaked out of an album that need to be rebacked. Kid Nichols and some others that are pretty tough ones. I've rebacked 4-5 of them using a Newsboy Cabinet (actress) stock and they didn't look too bad but it's difficult to cut the cardboard and you can DEFINITELY tell they've been rebacked. It would be hard to sell them to someone knowledgeable as not rebacked. I think you can also look at the edges and see if you see where they might have been cut. If they have been trimmed, you may see where the photo paper has 'grabbed' onto the sides and kind of overlapped the sides. The couple I'd picked up from Mike Wheat were significantly thicker than the normal card. I have an Anson rebacked that I bought for $1000 but it's as close to NRMT otherwise as you could get. Nice photo clarity, etc. I'd have had to paid $4000 or $5000 for a similar non-rebacked card. All what you're satisfied with, I guess. I have so many VG and VG- cards in my Old Judges that I don't have the ability to discriminate that much on something. I've seen Olbermann pay big bucks for rebacked cards and he bought some from me that were just the photo and severly chewed up and paid like $30 or more each for them. So.....again.....if you're happy with the purchase, whatever you pay is relative........