View Single Post
Old 09-20-2007, 04:16 PM
Administrator

Default Irrational Exuberance Low Number High Grade 1933 Goudeys

Posted By: Al C.risafulli

Jim:

I agree with what you're saying, completely.

The issue lies in the term "independent expert."

The "independent expert" is not Kevin (no disrespect intended), it is SGC or PSA. The grading company has already rendered its opinion on the card. In my analogy, Toyota is not going to let me bring a new car to my neighbor after I buy it. They might let my neighbor take a look at it and render an opinion before I buy it, but most auction houses will do the same thing. They'll send you bigger scans, many will let you come in and see the cards, and I've even heard of some smaller auction houses shipping cards directly to potential bidders for evaluation.

But the hobby, in general, has recognized experts in the field of authentication and grading, both of which have developed their good standing with a decade of respectable work, consumer confidence, brand-building, and all the other things that legitimate businesses need to do in order to legitimize themselves in the eyes of their industry. They do, indeed, make mistakes - same as Toyota occasionally builds a lemon - but that does not make them any less qualified to do their jobs. And the industry recognizes them as such.

-Al