View Single Post
Old 12-04-2014, 09:14 AM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
I don't know Steve. I have been organizing stuff the last several days and am continually finding things I don't know I have. A couple days ago I found a Matty Black cap T206, raw, in probably vg'ish condition. I found this booklet shown at top and this form was inside it. I never had seen it before. As I said, I had to make it difficult. You contribute so much to this board that if you will PM your preference I will throw a shirt your way too. Thanks to everyone who guessed. It was a bit different than our normal ones and I think that is a good thing every now and then.
I didn't mean it to come across like that.

It's entirely Ok. It really was a lot of fun. I learned a lot about a set I've seen but hadn't gotten any of them. And I must confess to cheating a bit by using Google

And now we all have a new puzzle with the set being available from two different places at the same time. Other than the sets with overprints or ones intended to be that way like the 70's discs or the M101-X cards I can't think of many sets used by multiple companies and I can't think of a set sold by two different companies as their own with no branding.

The Poster Stamp bulletin offering seems really late for a 1944 issue, an October, maybe September release of a set of the 43 Yankees seems odd. The Bulletin was run by a gummed paper company that probably produced the stamps themselves. That makes me wonder if the set was printed for one company that sold them during 1944 and either left the printer with an unpaid order or had a bunch of unsold sets the printer helped them sell at the end of the year.

Or

Maybe the printer with an outlet for poster stamps had an arrangement with customers where they'd be allowed to print extras and sell them after the original promotion?

They're related to the 1949 Eureka set somehow. The poster stamp bulletin sold those too.

All that makes for a pretty strange situation.

Steve B