Thread: pwcc
View Single Post
Old 10-24-2013, 07:52 AM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runscott View Post
Yes, I know. I have both scanner types. My slabbed cards still require adjustments - yes, scans are crisp and clear using CCD for slabs, but contrast and color are sometimes off. If anyone who has bought a slabbed card from me thinks my scans look freaky, just say so and I'll rethink things.
The scanner technology doesn't matter as much for color/contrast as it does for focus. CCD is indeed better for items with any sort of depth.

But the software usually makes it's own adjustments. Mine is actually CCD and old. But the new software makes it's own adjustments. I can actually see the adjustment being made. I do a preview scan, then select the area and once the area is selected that area changes compared to the rest of the background. Since I scan with the lid open to get a black background it darkens the entire scanned area so the background is truly black.

The old version of the software would not make that adjustment, so if for instance the lamp beside the scanner was on the background would scan as blackish changing to a dark red in the area closer to the lamp.
As an interesting tech note, the range of the CCD sensor Epson used is somewhat more than 2 feet! One scan with the lamp on had the lamp itself recognizable in the background.

I believe my scanner is adjusting the white balance as it goes, but that's going off recalling my familys first video camera needing the white balance set before each use. If it wasn't done the colors were usually way off.

So I know Epson autoadjusts, and from what I'm reading Cannon probably does as well. Other brands might not, or might do it in a way that's less accurate.

We should also recall that monitors don't display color the same either. And that the flat screen ones are dependent on the viewing angle. On mine viewing from an angle below the monitor (Like reclining a bit in an office chair with the monitor at a slight upward angle) results in black appearing blue.

The scans Peter shows do appear to be a bit oversaturated for color, but as someone else showed the colors used for the cards also varied.

Steve B