View Single Post
Old 05-13-2019, 07:21 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgpete View Post
Its just an opinion by the grading company, maybe you might get lucky that the one who grades the card will be wearing beer goggles that day. Nice Card good luck
Couldn't agree more! When I joined the site and got back into collecting, I asked a lot of questions about the grades of my cards in an effort to learn.

After asking far too many times, I was rudely told by a member here to do my own homework so that is what I set out to do. (He was right, btw)

After looking at listing after listing here, on ebay and various A/H's, etc, I thought I had a pretty good handle on things, but after slowing down in my research I started noticing things a little more differently.

It was during that time that I starting seeing things more clearly, more carefully and realized what I thought I had learned was all for not.

Way too many PSA cards exist out there that make no sense or go against what I had concluded. Some were way over graded and some under.

After doing all that research I concluded there is no way I could send my cards in knowing my better ones could come back anywhere between 2's and 5's.
With the money involved, (the exchange rate, the shipping, etc) I decided against it.

Take for example the current PSA 5 Mantle. According to their own grading guidelines, there is no way that card should have received a 5.
I know it was previously graded many years ago (but so is theirs in the pics below) so when you throw those cards into the mix you realize you're at the mercy of the grader that particular day. https://www.psacard.com/resources/gr...tandards#cards

Personally, after doing all that research I concluded that SGC is, by far, way more consistent with their grading. They are not perfect but will be definitely be my grader of choice if and when that day ever comes when I decide to get some of my cards graded. Just my 2 cents.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1952-topps-mickey-mantel-psa-ex-5.jpg (11.9 KB, 322 views)
File Type: jpg 1952-topps-mickey-mantel-psa-vg-ex-4.jpg (12.0 KB, 318 views)

Last edited by irv; 05-13-2019 at 07:55 PM.