View Single Post
Old 01-14-2019, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yastrzemski Sports View Post
Mussina should definitely be in before Smoltz and maybe Glavine. If Mussina had taken a job in the NL you could lower his era a half point and he would have had 300 wins. It’s hard to believe the voters haven’t taken that into account. My guess would be that he gets in either 2020 or 21.
Edgar does appear to be closing in. To me, Edgar doesn’t belong at all. If he played a position he wouldn’t even be in the conversation. Players career stats most comparable to him are Will Clark, Magglio Ordonez and Moises Alou. He had 2200 hits and 300 hr with no other real accolades. If you have a ballot I don’t know how you vote for Edgar before Fred McGriff, Jeff Kent and Larry Walker.
I expect Mariano and Halladay will sail in and they should.
Disagree. Glavine won 2 Cy Youngs was 2nd twice and 3rd twice. Smoltz also won a Cy Young and then went to the bullpen to help the Braves as a closer and won Fireman of the Year. Because of them the Braves won their division every year from 1991-2002 (2005 for Smoltz).

Mussina finished in the top 3 of Cy Young voting once. If Mussina gets elected, only Jack Morris and Red Ruffing will have higher ERAs. The lower ERA is ridiculous. The league difference is about .25 before ignoring that the pitching was much better in the NL. Who was Mussina competing with? Clemens 91-03 and Pedro 98-04. Still he couldn't win a Cy Young, never led in ERA or WHIP. Also, his win total would have been lower in the NL. In the AL, he never got pulled for a pinch hitter.