View Single Post
Old 11-14-2018, 02:22 PM
Larry More.y

Quote:
Originally Posted by rats60 View Post
Andujar had a strong season, but Ohtani had a historic one. He was a far better hitter with OPS+ 152 to 126 for Andujar as well as producing at a high level on the mound. There is no hype involved.

Ohtani played 5 years of minor league ball, playing 403 games with 1170 PA. Andujar played 596 minor league games with 2474 PA. Andujar has more professional experience, but they both absolutely are rookies.

If Ohtani was a rookie in 2016, he wouldn't have won the award like Sanchez didn't. ROY is a yearly award. Ohtani had weaker competition than Sanchez had, thus he is the 2018 AL ROY.

Here is a nice article from an actual voter. He lays out his reasoning and none of it involves "hype," but many of the stats that I laid out including a OPS+ 26 points higher, a OBP 33 points higher and a SLG 37 points higher. That is on top of his pitching. He also points out Andujar's historically bad fielding.

https://sports.yahoo.com/yankees-fan...065239328.html

I consult with executives, scouts, field staff, players – you know, people actually involved in the game – before I vote on these awards. Their vote was split. Slightly more favored Ohtani.

So, it seems that not only 25 of 30 writers favor Ohtani, but also those who are part of the game. The only group that favors Andujar are Yankee fans.
You may want to actually read the article you linked, as it is contradicting to your position.

First, there is absolutely no mention of WAR being the reason for this voter voting the way he did. Second, the article flat out says that Ohtani did not lead in any (non-pct) offensive categories (as Andujar did), as (agreeably) leading in statistical categories is not a requirement to win the ROY. In so many words, the article does not deny Andujar had a better season offensively. So, read back between the lines and outside of Ohtani leading slightly in a few pct based offensive categories, he received this vote because "what he did was historic".... this is statement absolutely confirms Ohtani received this vote because of the HYPE surrounding him. In addition, Ohtani's performance is not really very historic when just two years ago the runnerup for ROY, in a less crowed field, was better percentage wise in all PCT base categories than Ohtani.

Straight from a voters mouth, Ohtani won this vote not on the merits of having the best season (he had a strong season for sure), but on the fact that what he did was "historic"...

Since this voter based his vote on Ohtani's percentages being stronger(and of course his "historic" performance), instead of using WAR or other traditional stats (HR, RBI 2bs, avg), I wonder who he voted for in 2016. The guy who had the best percentages OR another player? If he voted for anyone other than Sanchez, there is clear bias.

Oh, where exactly did Ohtani play his 5 years of "minor league ball"?