View Single Post
Old 09-23-2006, 01:30 PM
Administrator

Default Bonds exposed: Shadows details superstar slugger's steroid use

Posted By: Bob

Rich- This isn't a whistleblower scenario. These guys knowingly broke the law by accepting secret grand jury testimony and using it. The fact they profited by selling a book laced with that information only makes me feel more strongly that they deserve to be punished by a civil contempt for refusing to reveal their sources.
Look, here's the bottom line, they knew exactly what they were doing and went ahead and did it any way. Even if what they did was noble and exposed a situation which needed exposing, they are not above the law. President Bush applauding them is so hypocritical it makes me want to puke. The skeletons in his closet must be thumping around and spinning. You can tell its election time. It's fine for your henchmen in Washington to throw a federal agent under the bus and blow her cover and subject her to being killed but its not ok to put someone in jail for this. Unfriggingbelievable...
You simply can not pick and choose if someone can violate the law or not, just as you can't pick and choose whether some grand jury testimony can be leaked because it is in the public good and some can't be because it is not. How would you like to give secret grand jury testimony involving the mob and have it leaked and be looking over your shoulder for the rest of your life? Barry Bonds is not John Gotti but the principal is the same. If you want to be noble and expose something you feel needs exposing, great, I commend you, but be ready to pay the price. Besides you'll have a nice financial nest egg from the sale of the book (and probably another book in the future to boot) when you get out. These guys did this going in with their eyes wide open. If you want to blame someone for this sorry mess, blame Bud Selig, the impotent and incompetent, blame the player's union, but don't blame the judicial system here. They are lucky they are looking at civil contempt only and not being charged criminally as co-conspirators.
My 2 cents.
tbob